The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to goats and ive never had a sick one before. She is 1 1/2 years old and has a 4 month old kid. We just finished a new field so we put them in there and a few days later she stared having scours and i just thought it might be from the new grass but 2 days later she started loosing weight. I called the neighbors that are more experienced with goats and they were out of wormer but had safeguard (i think thats what it's called) cow wormer on hand and said that should help her until i go get a different kind.

This was today and im going to go get wormer tomorrow. What is the recommend brand, ive heard ivermectin is good but when i looked on the TSC website it was only a lot of different kinds of cattle wormer. Is that what it's supposed to be? The only goat wormer i saw was safeguard goat wormer but ive heard some bad reviews on that. What else should i get her?

Oh and since her kid is pretty much just eating feed and grass i separated them. She isn't gloomy looking she's as perky as always she just looks bad and dosent eat as much feed as usual :( but she will graze alot still.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use Inervectimen Horse dewormer. It is apple flavored and comes in a stick.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think thats what we use for our horses so i could probably get that easy...how well does it work for yours?

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
for wormer I would give valbazen to the kid goat..1 cc per 10# oral and mom can have it too as long as she isnt pregnant....or use Ivomec plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q...for mom....
if mom is in bad shape do to worms I would do wormer 3 times ten days apart and once more at 30 days to give her a clean system ...give probiotics to help her gut since she had the runs...
Also get a temp on her to be sure nothing else is going on...is she eating drinking pooping berries now and drinking plenty?
Mom may be a bit depressed since being seperated from her kid..B complex is great for stress..You want to see mom chew a cud to be sure her rumen is going well after the runs

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive just read some worm threads and they scared me a little...her eyelids are very pale and she has lost alot of weight i put her away from the other goats and when i tried to feed her she would pick out the kind she liked the most and ate a little. A lot of threads say to keep them off green pasture and just feed hay and grain but she won't eat either barely but she will happily eat grass and weeds. I hate to take away the only thing she is eating. :(. .... any ideas on what i should do next?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I would say deworm her (and the rest of your goats- if one's wormy the others probably are too) as soon as possible. If she's really down, you could try to get her to eat some fresh veggies. When one of our does was sick for a long time and we didn't know what was wrong with her, the only thing she would eat at all were a few different kinds of fresh vegetables every day. I think it kept her alive.
Also I agree with Happybleats; you could try b complex to give her a boost; that also seemed to perk up ours when she was really low.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
If you could get a fecal test done at the vet's, that would be best- you could be dealing with coccidia (not a worm, but a parasite) which needs different medication- though worms are most likely.
One more thing- you can give her some molasses right off to give her a boost- plain or here's a recipe called "magic", supposed to work wonders:
one part molasses
one part corn oil
one part corn syrup
If she doesn't want to drink it you can put it in a syringe and squirt it down her throat.
Hope something I said helps, poor thing. :)

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I wouldnt take her off grass because of worm load...if she has a runny butt then yes, no fresh green until dry but for worms she needs to eat to keep her strength up...off frsh green leaves from your trees..these are very good for her..high protien pellets..I would give her red cell or Iron shot..B 12 is a good support for anemia..
she needs the iron supplement, so dont delay...red cell is easy to get at tractor supply ..Vit B 12 is RX....red cell every day for a week then once a week until you see color in her eye...B complex will also help give her a boost of eneregy and appitite..here is a link to help you treat anemia...and a quote from it..but do read the whole thing...
Offer the goat green leaves, alfalfa hay, and high protein pelleted goat feed to help rebuild red blood cells. Keep in mind that anemia results from a massive decrease in protein caused by the loss of red blood cells to blood-sucking internal parasites. Recovery from anemia can take weeks and sometimes months. Goats lose weight very fast and put it back on very slowly. Gain that is too rapid will be deposited as layers of fat around internal organs, so slow and steady re-gain of weight by a recovering goat is best.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Ive just read some worm threads and they scared me a little...her eyelids are very pale and she has lost alot of weight i put her away from the other goats and when i tried to feed her she would pick out the kind she liked the most and ate a little. A lot of threads say to keep them off green pasture and just feed hay and grain but she won't eat either barely but she will happily eat grass and weeds. I hate to take away the only thing she is eating. :(. .... any ideas on what i should do next?
The first thing I would do if I were in your shoes would be get a fecal done - make sure you tell them to test for everything - so I knew what I was dealing with. Once I knew that, I could then talk to my vet and make an educated decision on what wormer would be the best to use. Keep in mind that deworming almost always has to be done at least twice, 10 to 14 days apart - if fact, I don't know of any wormer that will do the job in just one dose, but I could be wrong on that. Another thing to keep in mind is that Safeguard is the only wormer I'm aware of that is labeled for goats - everything else is off-label. While I was waiting for the dewormer to do its thing, I would use any means - fair or foul - to get this girl to eat. Leaves, vegetables, a little grain - very little as fast weight gain is not a good thing, hay, browse, grass, etc. Repeat the worming in 10 - 14 days and then assess where she is. While I was at the vet getting the fecal done, I would also talk to them about Johne's. The two major symptoms of Johne's is diarrhea and weight loss. I'm not saying that is the problem, just that it's better to cover all bases.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone that has replied. It took forever but i got all of them healthy and fat again.

But of course as soon as i get everything well only a few weeks of everything going smooth another one gets sick. :( What am i doing wrong?

She started out loosing a little weight so as soon as i noticed i wormed her and she hasn't changed much and its been 2 days then today i went to check her and she was laying down so i went and got her some water and she drank the whole thing. She had water out there so i don't know why she didn't just go get it from there? I went and filled the bowl up again and she drank it all again. Then i went to put her up in a kinda quarantine shed thing we have thats a little bit of a walk but not much like less than 100 yards and she walked about half way then laid down and i started freaking out. I went and got my dad and he carried her the rest of the way and she wasn't eating and i tried about everything i made her oatmeal with honey, i tried feed, grass, hay, crackers all of her favorite foods and she got really excited when i brought it out and i know she's hungry, but she only ate a few crackers. Im going to worm her again today and the next closet time you can worm her ive got to read the bottle.

Our vet won't do fecals for some stupid reason but hes the worst vet ever and about the only one in a 2 hour radius. :( She dosent have scours.

I think she's dehydrated and im going to go get some electrolytes from tractor supply is there anything else i can get her while im there? We gave her a penicillin shot so maybe some probiotics? If so when should i start using it? I don't want to overload her with stuff. :(

Thank you guys everyone here has taught me so much i dont know what I'd do without this site.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
A new thread would get more exposer...but you need to get a temp on her...normal temp is 101.5-103.5....if she has fever then she needs antibiotics...Tylan 200 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours....elctrolytes near her wher she dont have to get up to drink...offer green leaves and hay only fro now
C D Antitoxin for her gut and probios..B complex will perk her up and help her eat...
here is a home made electroyle recipe...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses( or any moslasses or honey0
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts