The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and new by almost 2 years of having my goats. I panic at the littlest things, I need to toughen up. I have 2 wethered goats both are 2 years of age. I recently stopped feeding them grain and my lil guy got worms, i called the vet since he had stopped eating. The vet gave him a shot of Vitamin B and a parasite shot, suggested to get his appetite back by giving him grain, so I went to TSC and got him Purina goat chow again. Well I finished up the bag and within a week he has gotten worms again, I noticed right away and gave him Dumor deworming pellets. I've heard from numerous people that wethered goats shouldn't be eating grain cause of the other problems that can occur. So anyway my questions is... Did my goat get worms because I stopped giving him grain or was that just a coincidence? And/or now I still got to figure out where or how he got them twice within approximately a 2 month time frame. Any info is appreciated...

·
14,615 Posts
He got them from the ground not the grain. Parasites live only a few inches up.
Did you worm him once then 10 days later & with what & what amount?

Did vet do fecal? You might not be using the right wormer for the worms they have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet did not do a fecal only gave him the 2 shots and I used Dumor dewormer pellets for the last couple days waiting to see the change. I'm just wondering that since I stopped feeding him grain he's eating more off the ground and that's why he got them again. Not sure if I should put him back on grain since he has no problem with worms when he's eating grain. I give both my wethered only 1 cup of grain a day.

·
14,615 Posts
What is happening is that enough parasites are still in his system to keep reproducing.
They need another couple doses of the big guns; two-three oral does of Ivermectin cattle injectable done every 10 days.
I dose at 1ccpr 30lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts