Wormwood- herb

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GoatMama123, Feb 10, 2016.

1. GoatMama123

GoatMama123 Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Can lactating does have herbal wormers including wormwood. I know you are not suppose to give it to pregnant does, but is lactating ok? I get mixed answers from herbal wormer shops.

2. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Will take a look at my herb books and be right back...:)

3. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    ...and Kat Drovdahl uses wormwood with pregnant animals and lists it for cleansing pregnant animals as well.

I know for a fact my does cleaned off my wormwood plant thoroughly and totally enjoyed it :yum: yeah, took of every leaf :wink:

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends on which Wormwood that is used in the formula. One is very dangerous, others not as much.

5. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Good point, Goathiker.

The wormwood "annua" sometimes called "sweet annie wormwood" is MUCH stronger then the wormwood "absinthium" is not as potent and is the one generally used for deworming.

Annua is a very potent herbal systemic. Meaning it can go throughout the body instead of being localized in its abilities. It is:

-Antibacterial
    -Antifungal
    -Anti-inflammatory
    -Antimarial
    -Antiparasitical
    -Antitumor
    -Antiviral
    -Calcium antagonist
    -Immunomodulant

Absinthium can be used pretty much the same way.

* "Herbal Antibiotics" by Stephen Harrod Buhner. An absolutely amazing book!

6. Steampunked

Steampunked Active Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    Absinthium is an abortificant, so it is really going to depend on the type.

7. goathiker

It's also "supposed" to be a hallucinogen, if your goats start chewing their ears off you might want to quit giving it :lol:

Absinthe does go through the milk to the people drinking the milk and can endanger pregnant women.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. GoatMama123

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm confused are we saying that is in wormwood...or its a similar herb?

9. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    there are more than one kind of "wormwood"

10. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Wormwood can be a very controversial herb. If you are not comfortable using it, please don't. There are other, totally safe herbal dewormers for pregnant does.

Wormwood is the general term for the herb we are talking about.
    "Annua" and "Absinthium" are two species of it.

I would highly suggest researching the herb. It does appear to be a proven abortifacient in some cases, although Stephen Harrod Buhner states this about it, in "Herbal Antibiotics" 2nd edition:

"Both the herb (artimisia-wormwood) and the constituent (artemisinin) should be used with caution in pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. In vivo studies have found a number of adverse effects in rats and mice if the herb is used in the first trimester.
    However, on clinical trial with 16 patients in the first trimester of the pregnancy taking the herb found the miscarriage rate to be the same as that of the general population"

(words on parenthesis and emphasis added)

Another note is that taking the herb as a whole plant and taking just the constituent are two totally different things and will very different results. Herbs are made to work with everything that is in them, not just one specific constituent.

11. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    The latin name for wormwood is "Artemisia"

Family: Artemisia
    Species: (and I'm quoting S.H. Buhner again) "There are around 400 artemisias in the genus, but A.Annua contains the most artemisinin - a potent antiparasitic...." and again "...Many other artemisias contain artemisinin..."

12. goathiker

Absinthe is the distilled drink made from the Absinthium specie. It is very strong and is what Van Gogh was drinking the night he cut his ear off.

13. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Quick random fact about this (you seem like the type that appreciates somewhat random information... :D) Van Gogh also chewed on paint chips frequently, and the mixture of lead from the paint and absinthe would have caused him to see things with yellow and green halos, and wavy shapes and lines.... Hence his paintings!

But alas, I know absolutely nothing about wormwood.

14. goathiker

I know that I have one Absinthium plant that I must guard carefully because the goats will take a big chunk out of it when I lead them by :lol:

15. Cedar Point Kikos

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Wow, those are quite interesting...uh...facts :lol: Glad I never met THAT guy :shock: :lol:

Yup, goathiker! Mine completely cleaned my plant off! Hope it's okay and grows again this year :)

16. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Here's Kat Drovdahl's article on Dairy Goat Journal advocating use of Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) in pregnant does. She recommends only small doses and not too frequently. Back to the op's original question, yes WW is perfectly safe during lactation.

17. GoatMama123

Sep 9, 2015
    I purchased a mixture called worm a. From fir meadows llc. It isn't just wormwood it's alot of other things with it. I give an 1/8 of a teaspoon in grain once a week...

The package say ok for pregnant and lactating I'm just being extra cautious

18. goathiker

Fir Meadows products have always been high quality and safe. They need D Worm MLL as well in our area.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  19. Steampunked

Steampunked Active Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    It's probably fine at that level - most abortificants work by causing very strong muscle contractions or convulsions, which means that most of them are also poisonous. Pennyroyal is another.

On the other hand, the fact that they are poisonous makes most of them good as wormers.

The key is in the dosage. Modern wormers don't have the uncertainty around dosage.

I love absinthe. It's a great drink. It's so pretty and delicious. I love it.

20. goathiker

Just don't mix it with paint chips and Laudanum :lol: