Worried about a first timer and her kids-Please help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by badnewsboers, Jun 5, 2008.

1. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Sadie surprised me today and kidded. I went out and there were already two kids on the ground mostly cleaned off. I moed her and her kids into a pen by themselves. The buck kid is huge and was doing fine. The doe kid is smaller and was a bit slower and unsteady, but she was also the second born. I gave them all Nutridrench and made sure Sadie's teats didn't have plugs. Race told me he had already seen both of them nurse. I only saw the buck kid drink some so I stripped out some colostrum and gave it to the doe kid. Sadie is pretty good with her new kids, cleaning them and such, but all three seem confused. The kids are trying t nurse on everything. When they get close to a teat Sadie kicks and moves away. I got each of them to get a couple suckles in by holding Sadie's leg. I'm worried that Sadie will keep doing this though. What do you guys think? Is she just confused right now and her mothering instinct will kick in soon. I really don't want to pull them and make them bottle babies if I don't have to.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Re: Worried about a first timer and her kids

As far as I've seen so far, there are two types of first fresheners: Those that are the greatest mothers and will not let the kids out of their site, take good care of them etc. and those that want to be a mom but really aren't sure how to be one.

If the doeling is really small(we call them pee-wees) you may have to supplement with a bottle for a little while until you know that she is nursing off of her mom. If she is kicking the kids away, tie her up or have somebody hold her while you get the kids nursing. Usually holding them for about a day to three days helps them to realize what they have to do.

Congrats on the kids :)

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Re: Worried about a first timer and her kids

I went out today and the buck seems to be getting weak. The doe was walking around but he was laying down and when I woke him up he just stood there. He tries to nurse on her stomach or between her front legs. If he makes it to her udder, Sadie kicks and moves. Even if I hold her he won't latch on to the teat. I don't know what to do. I syringed some milk into him since I didn't have a bottle.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    get a baby bottle from the store - found they work best. Pull those kids or you will loose then. Just milk mom (haha) and feed them her milk. Make the holes a bit bigger in the nipples.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yep, you may need someone to hold the doe, while you milk her. Good luck. Go to http://www.fiascofarm.com they have all the info you need to learn to bottle feed.

6. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I had the same trouble with a ff she kicked an walked away from the kids when they tried to nurse, but she would love over them if they just wanted to loving, seemed weird, so i turned to bottle feeding them, keeping her with them as she never tried to really hurt them. anyways i think by the 3rd day she was starting to nurse them by herself and by the 5th day they got enough from mom that they refused the bottles I brought them.

congrates on the babies :clap: :clap:

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Yeah, I think I'm going to keep them with her and supplement with a bottle as need be. The doe seems healthy enough now and I've seen her nursing. The buck just seems to have problems finding the teat. I milked Sadie and he drank 2 oz from a bottle tonight.

Of course Ken, the Boer breeder who's place my goats are staying at, just thinks I'm worrying too much since its my first doe to kid. I probably am but better to worry too much than too little, right?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some big breeders don;t always think about details like that and just figure if they die they die.

I always say go with your gut.

Supplementing is great -- why can't mine take the bottle that well :hair:

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You really need to supplement him with a bottle. We had a doe kid with no milk and we had to supplement with bottles, one guy took it the other didn't. We tried everything we could be he ended up dying. When they start acting weak and hunching up you know that they are getting hungry.

Good luck.

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I went out yesterday and both kids had full bellies. While I was there I watched both of them nurse. I think everyone is going to be ok.

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That's great. Sometimes a doe just has to practice nursing to stop being upset by it - once they get the idea and stop worring about it they do fine.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great news.
    I was going to say that i have some does that do that because they are just a little confused. They do almost always seem to work it out.

Congratulations on the babies.