The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I banded my buckling 6 weeks ago today. He was 8 weeks old when I banded him. I have been checking on them almost daily and his nads still haven't fallen off. I have to admit I am getting a little worried.
I checked them today and they were shriveled up, hard, and the skin was slightly darkened, I also checked around the band today and the skin was a brown color.
I have been keeping it clean with iodine and blukote every few days. It doesn't seen to cause him pain or annoyance. He still tries to mount my little doeling (LOL).
This is my first time ever banding a goat and I am constantly worrying I have done it wrong. I took a few pictures, they aren't the best. Let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance!

ForumRunner_20130530_234104.png

Attachments

·
Registered
29,989 Posts
Yes..it looks fine...they make the bands a bit larger now and so it takes longer to get the job done...but he looks fine...as long as there is no puss, odor, or discomfort or fever..I wouldnt worry ;)

·
86 Posts
He look's fine ,you will find it in the yard soon .If you have chickens they will find it,look's like a lucky rabbit foot key chain.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Took 9 weeks for my wether's to fall off once. When you have to pick them up off the ground one day, you'll wish you'd have wanted them to stay on longer!

Seems like you are doing a great job with it :thumbup: With all that care and attention he's getting, he's likely spoiled!

·
208 Posts
Took almost 12 weeks for my boy. One day, I went out in the pen and they were just laying in the ground.
As everyone else has already said, they look fine :)

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
I had one that took nearly three months. I eventually cut them off because I found it was just two little pieces of dried cord hanging on and it was irritating him to have them swinging around by those.

·
Goat Lover
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had one that took nearly three months. I eventually cut them off because I found it was just two little pieces of dried cord hanging on and it was irritating him to have them swinging around by those.
So that's also a possibility isn't it? What do I need to look for.

·
14,615 Posts
Most likely they wont go that long.
Noticed some blood on dam's horns, yep #2 about to lose em. I sprayed some first aid stuff on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts