Worried about Dotti?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Mar 30, 2010.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Miss Dotti was in season about 3 - 4 days ago, she's only 8 mths so I didnt breed her. Due to unfortunate circumstances she shares a fenceline with an angora buck, but it is electrified. He never got in with her, she never got in with him.

Well today, 3 - 4 days after she was in season, she has thick white discharge from the vulva, and on the hairs on her tail. It look similar to what I have seen from does that have been joined by the buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has got me worried, and to make sure I worry even more, she seems off colour today. She is still eating but was slow to get up and come over this morning, more sooky with me, just generally not as active. No other signs of anything to help me figure it out.

So I'm just not sure whats going on with her. At the moment I have three theories:

1) She's just a doe that tends to discharge after a cycle
    2) The angora buck managed to breed her through the electric fence (ouch!)
    3) The wether she lives with, isnt really a wether

haha, see none of these theories are much good. I'm not happy with them.

Help, anyone?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I have seen some does with a discharge after heat - so its possible. I have also seen that as a sign of infection.

I would check out that wether closely just in case though

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a "virgin" 2 year old as well as an 8 month old that show that kind of discharge AFTER their heats...during the standing heat they have a clearish snotty type discharge, I'd say that Dottie is a normal teenager.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    ok so thats a relief :) its her first heat so I wasnt sure what is normal for her - I've heard of some does discharging without being bred but never experienced it, hopefully its just that. I will keep an eye on her, maybe take a temp in case it is an infection - the wether, I've never seen him act even the slightest bit bucky, I palpated his abdomen and cant feel anything but I know that doesnt mean squat because retained testicles can be anywhere - I didnt breed him, so I didnt castrate him, so I cant be 100% sure.

She certainly had a weird heat - standing estrus for 1/2 day, then completely off for a day, then standing estrus for another day ... go figure.

Guess I will be waiting anxiously those 17 - 21 days to see if she cycles again.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My 8 month old had her first heat at 4 1/2 months old....30 days later, her 2nd, 24 days later her 3rd...with a 5 day heat, 21 days after that, her 4th and a 5 day heat 3 times! I questioned my vet about this because none of my girls have ever had "irregular" cycles, he said that her heats will likely take a good 5-6 months to be regular as some girls are just beginning to have their system "know how" to regulate the hormonal changes of puberty.

With the "normal" range being 18-23 days, Angel is my only girl that cycles every 25-26 days and her "5 day heats" are more like 7 day heats.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    they never do things by the book do they! lol it would be too easy if they did!

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree that is is most likely just an after-heat discharge. One of my girls does this and I have to say that I was alarmed when I first noticed it too! It looks pretty much exactly like what you posted and there is usually quite a bit...it comes down in long streams and sticks to her legs...eeew.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto...mine do that to .... when their heat cycle is ending... :wink: :greengrin:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    interestingly, she was in raging season again last night, and is off again this morning. So apparently I've got a horror for a cycling goat lol wont it be fun, her doing this all the way through till this time next year when I can actually breed her!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California