The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hoping somebody could help me, I have constantly read online that milk replacement is very bad for kids, what would be a good alternative for mother's milk? (I have an orphan week old kid who's mother died kidding and I am running out of natural goats milk that was given to me)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I personally have never had a problem with milk replacements. My 2 oberhasli wethers are strong and healthy as well as my 2 sheep. I'm currently bottle feeding an oberhasli bucking, no problems. I use advantage or land o lakes. I do put probiotic powder in with the 1st bottle of the day, this helps with digestion, I have crushed lactaid pills and put that in the 1st bottle of the day when they were really young. You do need to follow the directions on the package fully. Most people use cows milk from the store, whole cause they do need the fat... I have never done that before. I read all that stuff that milk replacement kills kids... etc, however like I said I never had a problem, and all of my kiddos are strong and healthy. I think does match is another good one too.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Use whole cows milk. I reccomend cows milk to all bottle babies that i sell and i have never had a problem althouygh i do keep them on a bottle for abput 12 weeks. I do put a pinch of bajing soda in the last bottle of the day. Depending on his age i would probably feed him 4 bottles a day. 6 if he is less than 2 weeks. And since he is a pygmy work your way up to 8 ounces at 4 weeks and then keep him there and gradually cut back on number of bottles to 2. Make sure to offer grain amd hay.

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
You need to buy quality milk replacers. It is also very important that the powder is fully mixed. I just recommend whole cow's milk from the store because many people will just buy the cheap stuff at TSC and next thing you know, they have problems.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
hoping somebody could help me, I have constantly read online that milk replacement is very bad for kids, what would be a good alternative for mother's milk? (I have an orphan week old kid who's mother died kidding and I am running out of natural goats milk that was given to me)
I've never had a problem with milk replacer. Just make sure it contains milk proteins, not soy! Soy is hard to digest and does not provide proper nutrition. Also make sure it is a minumum of 23% protein and 25% fat. Personally, I use Super Lamb for my bottle babies. It's 24% protein, I think, and 30% fat. Should you decide to use it, start out slow - 30% fat is at the high end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
31,445 Posts
Im one who is against using replacer....all to often babies cannot digest it and become ill...
I use whole cows milk from the store...slowly change over by giving 3/4 goat to 1/4 cows milk a few days...then go 50/50 a fee days then 1/4 goats/3/4 cows...then 100 % cows..:) better to go slow than to go too fast..
pick up C D Antitoxin in case baby has difficulty with the changes you decide on , replacer or cows milk..best wishes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts