The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to do chores this afternoon and found a huge red tail hawk eating my favorite hen. The hawk didn't fly away it just sat there on top of my hen and looked at me. I ran back to my house to get the gun and got half way back to him then a group of crows chased him off into he trees. The hen was a lot bigger than some of new baby goats. I'm worried that it will come back and kill my babies. Should i be worried or do they only eat chickens?Anyone ever had a hawk kill kids? I was told that the hawk is an endangered specie.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I worry about this a lot too. We have a lot of bald eagles here. They've gotten a few of my chickens, and they're not afraid of me at all. I ran right up to one while trying to chase it off, and it just stood there eating my chicken and looking at me. I worry they're going to kill the baby goats, but so far they've only gotten chickens. I guess I didn't really answer your question. I'll be curious to see what everyone else has to say about this.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Are the kids with their dams? Because if so, I'd imagine the momma goats will protect their kids.

I'm sure they'll be fine :hug:

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I have no idea about the kids. Maybe since they are so fast, the hawks wouldn't think of catching them :confused: ?

I went out to do chores this afternoon and found a huge red tail hawk eating my favorite hen.
I wanted to share that this exact same thing happened to us! A darn red tail ate the most friendly chicken to ever step foot on our property! She would even "sit" on command... Why is it always the favorite?? :(

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It looks like you have minis, I dont know, they sure are small. Have you ever heard of the 3s's? (shoot, shovel, shut up)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the kids with their dams? Because if so, I'd imagine the momma goats will protect their kids.

I'm sure they'll be fine :hug:
Yes they are with their moms but a lot during the day the babies lay beside the fence or in a big dirt hole that my mini donkeys roll in alone while mom grazes.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like you have minis, I dont know, they sure are small. Have you ever heard of the 3s's? (shoot, shovel, shut up)
:) that's the plan . Endangered or not anything that kills my innocent chickens or baby goats will be extinct the first chance I get.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you do that don't get caught-HUGE fine and jail time is possible. Raptors are protected.
Yea i know but my animals are my kids since I can't have any of my own so like any mom I will do whatever it takes to protect them :) hopefully it doesn't come back for seconds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Our guardian dogs won't let any owls, hawks, vultures or eagles land near our goats or poultry. Vultures are usually going after afterbirth, but wouldn't take much for them to take off with a newborn goat.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our guardian dogs won't let any owls, hawks, vultures or eagles land near our goats or poultry. Vultures are usually going after afterbirth, but wouldn't take much for them to take off with a newborn goat.
I wish my husband would let me get a guard dog. We already have 4 dogs but they don't guard nothin but their food bowls :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just met a farmer a few miles from me, we're in Chiefland, FL, who has a neighbor who raises Boer goats. He said his neighbor had eagles take off with several new born kids. He now keeps the newborns in the barn til they are at least a week old. Our Guardian Dogs won't let hawks or vultures land in their pasture. This photo was taken right after "Bandit" chased off a vulture trying to land near this new born Myotonic buckling. Carriage House Farm, Chiefland, FL

Attachments

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
We have hawks and bald eagles, never had either one take any kids. Our neighbor has had a group of bald eagles kill a calf before, nothing he can do about it though because they are protected. If you see the hawk again, I would shoot to scare it away, not kill it.

If you have donkeys with the goats, the hawk will most likely leave them alone. I think they prefer chickens over anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts