Worried about Shanti... again!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by PACE, Oct 24, 2007.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Shanti is causing more problems than the other two combined... medically, at least. If any of you remember my thread on GW about him going bald, well, I put vegetable shortening on it for a week or so once a day and the skin softened up and the hair grew back.

But now I have a more serious concern... he seems off balance, and a little "ouchy." He went to the vet's last Friday (5 days ago) and got two shots, one in his shoulder and a rabies shot in his rump, as did the other guys. They seemed fine, I took them home and they still seemed fine. About two days ago I noticed Shanti "crouching" when he walked and kind of dragging his feet at times. His back legs are kind of stiff looking and he just seems off. Good appetite, I didn't take his temp yet, and up and about. But his tail is down, and he is almost hobbling, but it's not severe enough to call it that. I thought maybe he was sore from the injections (the other two are fine, mind you) but it's 5 days later, and he looks to be getting worse. The thing that really worries me is he was eating his grain and his front legs seem tender/weak. One leg kind of buckled and he fell on his knee. Then I let him off the leash to go graze after getting grain, which I do every day. He wandered over to Melino's dish to see if there was any grain left. Melino was still tied up and he got "tripped" by the leash when he tried to pass it. It was about chest height. He kind of tried to push through it then fell over. He layed splayed on the ground and just layed there, seemingly unable to get up, until I helped him. The poor thing :(

So he just doesn't seem right. And I may be over reacting... I hope I am, but I am worried about him. I think Ill call the vet tomorrow if he's still acting funny. Goat polio crossed my mind, though I don't know much about it... any suggestions about what might be going on? Hopefully he is either sore from the shots or just having an off day. But I know that when something is really wrong they can go downhill fast and wanted more experienced people's oppinions. Then if I do call the vet I'll be able to explain/offer ideas better. Thanks.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Does sound like something is wrong, I totaly understand what you are describing.

For now if you have B Complex it wouldn't hurt to give him some just in case it is polio and you can catch it early.

My question is what shots did he get besides rabies?

A vaccine puts a little bit of the disease in their bodies and just like the flu shot can cause people to get the flu because of the shot I would suppose that he could have "caught" whatever it was you were vaccinating him against.

just an idea.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so confused. Why do people give their goats rabies shots? My goats don't bite. Sorry, I am just wondering.
    Have you gotten a temp on this guy?

4. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Looking at the file, the other shot is a "Clostroid DT Vaccination (Caprine)"

I don't really know why they get Rabies shots.... except to protect them from rabies, I guess. The vet just told me what they should get it and I said okay, after asking a few questions. I do trust his oppinion for the most part, even if the things he says to do may not be necessary. I have never given an injection before. The vet always gives them their shots during their yearly check-up.

I don't have a temp yet. It's too dark to go out now, but I'll get one tomorrow.

Like I said before, I havn't given a shot before, and I don't have any b-complex on hand. Is there anything else I can give to help? Things I could get quickly, meant for people even?

I am going to watch him carefully and give him extra attention, and wait until tomorrow I suppose. I'm pretty sure I will call the vet, just to hear if this is common or not and what they suggest. Thanks guys for the help.

5. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    sweet goats--if a goat were to be bitten by a rabid animal, being a mammal it COULD infect people/otheranimals--through a bite or by saliva entering any break in the skin. i think who needs the shot is determined by how prevalent the disease is in a given area.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the rabies vaccine is not aproved for goats (not harmful that I know of) so if your goat is bitten by a rabid animal and the law inforcement find out your goats would be confiscated and destroyed even if they have a rabies vaccine.

It is a precaution some choose to make just in case they do get bitten by an animal and it is unknown or not if the animal was rabid.

Personally I don't do it because of the price, but I don't see an issue with it

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The only reaction I have ever had to shots was a soreness the next day in one of my horses to west nile- I did have one horse react quite severely to a lepto shot- he ran a temp of 105 and was wandering aimlessly and bumping into walls due to edema on his nervous system. Both these reactions were the next day.
    My goats get the sheep rabies vaccine each year and don't seem to have any reaction to it at all.
    It does sound more like either goat polio or listeriosis (if he has a temp.) And I would try to get b1 into him- human drug stores carry b1 complex pills and you could give him buches of those. I wonder if your vet could call a B1 prescription into a pharmacy for you?
    Rabies is very bad here and I was told that it can spread even if you don't get bitten by entering an open sore on your skin from saliva. In fact, even if the animal doesn't get bitten, you can pick up rabies from any infected saliva on the animal for 11 hours. One the people I work with had to have shots because he picked up his dog who had rabid skunk saliva on it.

8. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    and the awful part of rabies is that it cannot be stopped once an animal or human animal gets it.
    the county where i lived had such an outbreak of it in wild animals that vets were required to immediately euthanize any cat that came in of unknown origin, period. and instead of three yr intervals, the time was cut to the three yr vaccine every two years for dogs and cats. my horses were immunized, as well. raccoons, possums, fox, skunks are the most common wild carriers in the east.

my animals never became sore afterward.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I have never had this so Idon't know from personal experience but I was reading something that sounded like the same symptoms as your goat and it was decided it was a menageal worm problem. They said that larger more frequent Ivermec wormings were needed along with some other meds.
    I just mentioned it as something to look into.
    When Tim had a bout of goat polio, her eyes seemed to have trouble focusing. I mention that too as as possible thing to look for.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    both good suggestions enjoytheride.

Emily any more news? how is he today?

11. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Thanks you so much everyone for all the suggestions! Shanti is actually acting much better today... He is still a bit "stiff" looking but is up and around and playing a bit. His temp is normal. His appetite is good. He is peeing and everything normally. I am starting to think that he was butted too hard and had a "twisted ankle" or something. Maybe he even fell off the rock? :(

Melino has been growing and is getting big! He has really started asserting himself lately, mostly when I give them fresh hay in the morning. So I am thinking that maybe he got too rough... I could be off but, Shanti being hit too hard might explain it. He is tender, "hobbling," and when he fell it was like he was stiff and sore, and couldn't get his legs under him because it hurt. And the off balance part might have just been him being ouchy on a certain leg which caused him to hobble and stumble a few times. His eyesight has seemed fine since the beginning. I am really still watching him closely, but he has me confused. I went out there this morning and he came out of the shed after Pace as happy as can be, though favoring his right hind leg a bit and still acting "stiff." Sorry for jumping to conclusions so fast. I was really worried (and still am pretty concerned). But he honestly seems better. Maybe it is like with people. You get an injury and it hurts, but the next day it hurts even more, then it slowly starts to feel better and less sore.

I'll still watch him closely and will make sure he seems better tomorrow. I think he likes getting special attention :) So hopefully it was just me being an overprotective goatmom again! I'll give another update tomorrow.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no harm no faul. I wouldn't say ou jumped to conclusions you were only doing your job. Glad he seems to be inproved. do keep us updated if he takes a turn for the worse, and you know we are here to help.