worried- doe acting off

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chi Chi, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    This morning when I went out to feed the goats I noticed that our queen doe was acting off. She was not interested in her grain or the hay. A little bit later when my DH went out to let the goats out to graze she would not come out of the pen. SHe stands outside by herself and just isn't interested in anything. He was able to get her to eat a couple of leaves. Her temp is 101.7. She is a nigerian and weighs 38 lbs. Yesterday we did open a new bale of hay- no issues smells good-no mold but it is finer than they are used to. It rained all day yesterday and of course they didn't come out of the barn so they ate more hay. We noticed they all had hay bellies- even the two that usually don't.

It has been very wet here this summer. They were all wormed recently on the 8 and the 18th with Zimecterin Gold paste. Her eye lids look good from what I can tell. I did give her baking soda and probiotics. I haven't seen her drink. She looks a little fuller around the jaw line- no bumps or swelling. Any suggestions.....

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would give her some vitamin B complex.... it can't hurt and I've used it along with goatade to perk up does that just seem a bit off. Her temp is on the low side of normal.... so I'd be sure to keep checking it to make sure she doesn't drop more. Is she open or bred?

3. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    She is open. I have some liquid B1 supplement will that work and about how much should I give her? I don't have goatade but I do have either Arrest or formula 911 electrolyte powder that I could mix up. How much should I give her?

4. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Her temp is now 103.2- she is eating a little bit and drinking. I haven't seen her poo. I cleaned out the barn today and usually as soon as I do that everybody runs in and does their business before I can even make it out of there. I saw everyone else's poo but not her. :shrug: She is more with it just not her self still.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like..either to much grain or..... the hay may be hotter.... as it sounds real leafy.....Is it Alfalfa?
    If so... that may be why... you see bloat..... put out free choice baking soda.......and the one doe that is off..... may have a tummy ache.....from it....you did good.... by giving her probiotic paste and baking soda....continue that 1x a day for 3 days..... Try feeding a less hot hay with that hay so it isn't as hot...try not to feed as much of it.....feed less of it.... then gradually increase.....

The ill Doe should be back to normal... by tomorrow... as she sounds like.... she is already responding to treatment......it is helping to get her rumen going again... check for gut sounds..... Her temp earlier was lower.... which when her rumen is off....they can have a drop in temp.....and I see now... it has come up to the normal range..... take her temp tomorrow just in case....

if she hasn't eaten ......she may not of eaten enough... for it to go through her system......

don't feed any more grain.... until she is 100% ......then...start her slowly back on it ....a little at a time..each day... then slowly increase.....

She may have barber pole worms with the fullness under her jaw...... can you get a fecal done on her.?

with the liquid B1 supplement...I have never used it ...is it for horses or ...multiple species? It may have ...dosage on the back....

B vitamins are great for appetite..... :thumb:

Mixing
    Mix 2/3 cup (100 gm) into 2 quarts warm water/or milk replacer, shake or
    mix thoroughly.

Calves, Veal & Foals
    Feed above mixture per calf twice a day for 2 days. Receiving calves should be given 2 feedings prior to the regular milk program. (Ideal Feeding Directions: Feed 1 quart milk or milk replacer, followed by 1 quart Formula 911® mixture in water. Feed above program 4 times daily for 2 consecutive days.)

Lambs And Goat Kids
    Feed above mixture at the rate of 4 fluid ounces per 5 pounds body weight, 3 times a day for 2 days.
    Ingredients
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/formula-911.html

Hope this helps keep us updated..... :hug:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can give her some MOM and see if that helps her. Really helped my doe who was jsut not feeling right.

watch that her temp doesnt keep rising. But its not uncommon for it to rise as the heat of the day comes and then drop as the temps get cooler. A temp of 101.7 is normal 103.2 is getting a bit high but if it was a hot day thats normal

7. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Pam- It is just regular hay- it is finer than the course hay they have been getting. They sheep have been eating it without issue. They goats do get 1/2 cup of grain in the morning and at tuck in time. They do have baking soda and minerals free choice. I did have my husband search the loft for a courser bale of hay so that is what they all got later today. I will keep up the baking soda and probiotic paste for the three days.

I can't get a fecal done until maybe tuesday/wed- the vets in our area don't take kindly to goats and I did get one that said he would run a fecal but it would be $30 a sample and then he would probably needto sent it out for an additional cost. So I am still working on that piece. I was concerned that about the barber pole worms- but she doesn't look like any of the pictures I have seen. The liquid B supplement that I have is for horses...can I use it or should I try and pick up some tablets from the drug store tomorrow?
    Thanks for the wonderful info..

Stacey- How much MOM? Our temp has really cooled off. It went from being in the high 80's low 90's to the 60's yesterday. THeir coats changed from sleek to fluffy overnight.

I just got back from checking on her- still no poo??? Could she be constipated?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give her 10cc of MOM and see if that helps

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have probios? I would give that too. Do you hear her rumen working at all?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :hug:
    It could very well be a tummy ache....they can get them sometimes.......sometimes it is unknown as to why....as mentioned before.... if she is better by the end of tomorrow... she should be OK....

With the liquid B supplement ...I am unsure..... but ...you can use the tablets if you'd like.... :thumb:

Also... at a feed store... they do have vit b Complex Injectable... that is really good and has all the b vitamins.... that helps tremendously....and works really fast.... :hug: good luck...

11. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    RunAround- I gave her some earlier in the day- I just ran out to the barn and listen for Rumen sounds- I think I heard a few gurgles then she let out a big burp.

I gave her 10 cc of MOM. I think she is no longer happy to see me!

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thats good you are hearing rumen sounds. I would keep up with the probios twice a day till she is back to normal.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup:

keep us updated...... :hug: :pray:

14. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Well this morning we had lots of clumpy poo. She nibbled a bit. I tried to get a temp on her but she ran off after her dose of probios....

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like... she may be better.... :wink: :hug:

16. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Her temp is 101.8. I will continue on present course..........

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Our Queen seems back to be back to normal. :clap: But now one of the other does has soft poo this afternoon- normal temp. I am thinking it is dietary- I am going to treat her like I did Addison and keep my fingers-crossed.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: :stars: congrats....

Could very well be from diet......soft isn't bad.....but if it gets worse...you can give her some pepto ....... if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days and gets worse....... then..... I would recommend a fecal...... as she may have worms or cocci.....

Is the poo the same color as her feed? Or is it black? does it really stink?

feed no grain.....

20. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am happy to report that everyone had great Poo this morning and lots of it!! :stars: So much for the clean barn. Everyone is happy and healthy must have been something they ate.... thanks for everyone's help!