The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Nubian nanny, due to kidd end of march beginning of April. She’s massive! Id bet triplets if not quads. She’s as big as a barrel, but her milk bag isn’t near were I feel it should be. What should I do? Or will it come in right before ? I don’t mind bottle feeding. Just wondering why she doesn't have much of a bag this close to kidding.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much. Lots, and lots of does don't get their milk in until right before, or even after they kid.

Of course, it is always good to have some form of colostrum even if udder are filling big prior to kidding. It always best to have real colostrum, but colostrum replacer (not supplement) can also be used in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have one Nubian/Pygmy cross who always gets her udder exactly 4 weeks before her due date. At about 2 weeks it starts filling up and it gets super tight the day before she kids. My other doe (Nigerian Dwarf) waited 3 days before her due date to begin filling her udder. Her udder started showing development signs
1-2 weeks before kidding.
Your doe should be fine! (thumbup)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had her for a while she has kidded before first time with me. No parasites, very healthy , amazing nutrition, plenty of fresh clean water. I started giving selenium about two weeks ago (orally) she one of my favorites she’s the alpha female of the herd. I may just be worrying cause she is one of my favorites but she’s so dang big!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts