Worry wort me

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coraxfeather, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    You all know how big of a worry wort I am about my boys. Pani is doing fine but Dude has a couph I just can not seem to get rid of. For some reason he just keep couphing. He is right now on a round of SMZs, his thrid round of these antibotics. The lady which we trust more then a vet checked him out and did not find anything wrong with me. He is not weezing just seems to couch ever once and a while. After a round of antibotics he is fine for a few days and then starts couphing again. It is bafflen everyone why he is doing this. ANyone know of anything that would cause him to couph like that?? I think I would be devstated if I lost either of my boys now. Want to clear this up asap. The little guy has already been though a lot.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Have you treated or tested for lung worms?

Is it dusty? Is the hay dusty?

Is there a wind chill where he is at?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could be like exersize induced asthma :shrug:

Lung worms are also a possibility

what kind of antibiotic were you using? for respitory I like LA 200

4. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    We have had him on LA 200. Gave it to him when he started to get phomina (sp??) and that cleared it up in a few days. Just know the side effects from usen a drug like that on a baby goat. Sorry read the labels and looks up drugs on-line. He is on SMZs right now 3 times a day to clear up the couph. Like I said he takes the antibotic for he required ammount of time and then we take him off of it and he is good for about a few days and then starts in couphing again.

He is in the garage right now. We moved him and the other babies there when the weither started to get warmer.

There is no wind getting to them and they have a small space heater on them. ANd they are in a kennel that is covered on 3 walls with one side that is a open. They are actuly in a dog kennel right now until we get the baby play pen fixed. The floor in it kind of because of all the baby pee pee and water and other things kind of gave way. So we are repairen it. They are spoiled babies.

The Hay that we have is not to dusty and I do nto pull it apart around the little ones. I am exstreamly careful on what is around them and who even handles them right now until they get to a certain age.

Never heard of Lung worms. What are they and how do you know if they could possibly have them?? ANy outwards signs that a animal has them?? And what do you do to get rid of them when you find out the animal has them.

I will watch after they have play time if that is when he couphs more. I think I can tell you when color there poo is on a given day. I watch everthing that happens to the babies at my boss's house inculden the yearlings. They are our bread and butter you can say./ Eveyone wants to see the babies.

They are also on a medicated lamb and id pellet at this time.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Lung worms dont show up on a fecal usualy even if the goat is infested.

What you do to treat is give Ivermectin wormer.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    since you moved him...how is his cough? Is it the same or less?

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    To me it sounds like lung worm. That is what I would treat for.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you know sweetgoats and stacey....it could very well be Lungworms ...I was just curious ...if there was any change ...since she moved them..... :)

9. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    He seems to couph more after play time out of the kennel. He is actuly doing better since we moved them into the garage. But he is on a round of SMZs right now. He seems doing just fine and is playing like the other babies.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If he is coughing less after you moved him....wow ...maybe there is something in the other area that was making him cough..... :shrug: :)

11. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Maybe but it could be also the antibotics that he is on. We are going to keep a eye on him. Noneo of the other babies are shown any signs of anything.

How do we have him tested for lung worms??

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am unsure how... and if ...they can test for lungworms.......hopefully someone else can answer that for you though......I pray ..you can figure out ...your babies problem soon..... :hug: :pray:

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I believe there is a certain fecal that can be done to determine if it is lungworms. It's tricky, I've heard. I think it is the Baerman (sp?) fecal. My aunt, Victoria (a member here) knows about it.