The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I'm still shaking...

9pm, it's already near pitch black out here, and I here a distress cry from one of my girls, but I can tell is not up close. Fortunately I can see all of my 7 acres in the daylight, but at night I can only see eyes with a flashlight if I'm lucky. So I scan the goat pen with the flashlight there's only 4 so I start scanning the field. I can't really say why but I went straight to one area and there she was... all i knew was she was stuck and crying. I yelled for my oldest son (he's 11) and put him on the mower to drive ot with me and give me extra light, also he could go back to te house to get dad if I needed help. I thought it was the littlest Flash but as we neared the gate I could see Flash was in with the others. I immediately realized the one missing was my pregnant doe Meridia. Of course I didn't grab any sort of tool and she's got the biggest horns of all, and the least tame too. W finally get ot to her and at first I thought thank god it's just her collar hung up on the wire so I take off her collar but that wasn't it. She had her head through one hole in the wire fence and back in the next. Horns at all... I struggled for a minute to figure out how she was stuck. Her face was too long to pull her nose back through the first section I really don't get how she even managed to get in like that. But I decided i had to get her horns through first. Poor girl. I'm having to wrench her one way and then the other praying I can get her out. Thankful at this piont that she's still standing and I know she can't have been stuck for more then an hour. I freed her from the first twist and the second was much easier. She jumped away from me and stood the for a moment. Of course all 4 of the others had followed us out too. She finally decided to head to the pen, she made it up there before me so I'm not sure if she got water or not. But I filled the water bucket with fresh water and just sat in the pen watching her to make sure. She seems to be doing ok and settled down to rest, so I locked up the pen and heading back to the house to get the kids in bed. Im going to keep them in the pen at least for the morning tomorrow, probably all day just so I can keep an eye on her. It's strange though I know exactly what I did, but I feel almost detached for myself right now. Like my body did all these things but I just sat back and watched it all.

I really hope she's ok tomorrow and can't imagine how scary that was for her.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
:goodjob: Getting a horned head unstuck from a fence can be a beast of a job sometimes. Night time added on top makes it even more challenging. Your instincts kicked in, a natural aid in how to figure out the best way to free her. Like a major rush of adrenaline flooded through you, and your body acted independently of thought process. Full on, got to rescue this doe.... and you did. Hope she is fairing well for you this morning. You are her hero/knight in shining armor now.

·
14,802 Posts
I totally know your pain! so glad you got her out, and I hope she is just fine this morning. I agree that getting those horned heads out of the fence can be a real nightmare. We've actually had to put 'dummy sticks' on their horns to keep them out of the fence - duct tape a long/lightweight pipe or strong stick across the horns so they can't get their head through the squares. Looks silly, but definitely worked. Have a yearling who was getting stuck it seemed like every other day for a while, I was about to put the dummy stick on her! But thankfully the bad habit stopped and it's been quite a while since we've had any issues.

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
Good job!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's been doing well. It took me till almost 3 before I was calm enough to let the goats out. I couldn't bear te idea of get getting stuck while I wasn't home. Fortunately being in the pen all day they seem content to focus on the greens at this end of the field.

·
14,802 Posts
I'm glad she is doing good. Definitely look into the dummy stick for her that will ease your worries even if it makes her look funny. If your unsure what it is I might have a picture from years ago when I had to put one on a doe.

·
14,802 Posts
It was not the worst goat moment ever. It was a great learning moment. your worst moment is still to come along with the biggest learning Goat moment. Goats are brutal teachers you did great.
I have to agree with that. Getting the head stuck in the fence here is a very mild moment once you've had goats for a while, or have a bigger herd. There are very devastating moments where you just want to call it quits - but thankfully the good moments tend to win out that decision.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See I feel just the opposite. An animal dying from illness, complications, or even a predator is one thing. An animal dying because I didn't check on them sooner, i didn't replace that fence before letting them out, I didn't have the right tools with me. That's what I'm afraid of. The unknown doesn't scare me, because the unknown isn't my fault, it can't always be prevented, it's the situations where there was something simple that could have prevented the problem that scare me much much more.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,495 Posts
Nighttime sounds are the worst because you can’t usually just peek out and check. I know sometimes we get this weird fox mating call (this is what we investigated and figured out), and we had just brought the goats home and hadn’t had a fox call this season. So I was just about asleep when I heard this loud screeching and I knew if it was the goats then something was direly wrong. I didn’t go out to the goats because I only heard it once, and from the opposite side of the house, but stepped out on the back porch and the goats were all quiet.

So scary, my heart was beating so fast. Every time I hear a strange noise outside at night this happens.

I’m so sorry your horned goat got stuck, horns terrify me for that reason. I know that people like to put a bar or a stick horizontally across the horns, and then they can not ever get stuck in anything because you make the width so large.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts