The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just before I tell my horror story, I will say this, I will continue milking and I'm hoping someone could give me a solution...

Today I was milking my bf's nubian.
She kidded 6 days ago with a big boy.
Her teats were HUGE! I could tell she was uncomfortable.. Her udder was full and tight as a whistle!! So bad I dont think the baby was nursing at all..
I started milking her and I knew it was gunna a little tough.
Not this tough.....
She kicked and screamed and KICKED ME IN THE EYEBALL!! I couldn't see for like a few minutes..
She is a real witch.
I know I need a hobble BUT I can't get one within now & tomorrow morning.
I got a GREAT amount, especially after she DUMPED IT TWICE. This goat is horrible.
What do I do? I really need help before I go CRAZY!!

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Maybe you need to feed her some treats. Like raisins goats absolutely love raisins! Have someone sooth her and feed her raisins. Talk in a soft calming voice when she gets a little un-sure.Get a warm rag and put it on her utter if it hurts really bad. Hope this helps!

P.S. you have a handsome boy!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Ouch! Sorry, that must have hurt so much :eek:! Have someone help you hold one of her legs up. It will practically stop her from kicking and knocking the milk bucket over. Is she used to being milked? Is she an FF?

Also, don't continue milking her too much, because she does have a big boy to feed ;) She is producing a lot for a single, though, just be sure he's getting his share.

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
The baby should be able to latch on now so maybe if your lucky he will do the milking for you from now on. If not you can use leashes for hobbles. You may need to move your milk stand if you don't have anything to hobble her to(i don't know what your setup looks like) she will quickly learn that you win and she will chill out. A little grain while u milk works wonders :) was you milking from behind?(to get kicked in the eyeball?(ow!)) I milk from the side facing backwards. Is this your first time milking?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her legs were tied (with hay bale string) REALLY together. Not too tight of corse but tight enough.
She had plenty of grain.
I had my friend macie sit there and pet her & talk to her. Tell her she's alright. Give her kisses.
This is not my first time milking. But milking her, yes. Lol
She is 7 years old and is a 6Th freshener.
When she kicke me I actually was on the side!!
Lol & when I tied her legs, she almost tipped the stand.... It was SCARY!!
She was milked daily with her last owner. That was max 6 months ago?
Trinity: she does have a little boy to feed, but currently he hasn't gotten ANY milk from her. I know that because the plug was still in both teats..
Lol this was tough. Sorry for the lack of information. Can't really think.
I did move the bucket quite a few times.
Once I got it infront of her udder she did best there. Prolly gave 5 min without a fight. :D that was a miracle. Until she pitched a fit. Lol and started squatting? What? It was weird....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have one just like that. she would go to the auction if she wasnt so beautiful. the best we could do was have someone hold her tail up straight, but as soon as she weaned her kids, she weaned us too. i think out of spite.
i do have to say that she came from an abusive home and it has taken 8 months just to get to the petting stage. we will keep her coming to the parlor for treats and a little grain, maybe next time will be better.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Sorry you got hurt :( I have a doe like that-she's leaving tomorrow.

One, don't stop milking when she kicks! If you do, you will be rewarding her kicking, therefore re-enforcing that if she kicks, you stop milking. Not something you want to do, of course.

Two, what I do when I train a goat is: Tie it to a fence, tie on hobbles, press hard right by the hip, and milk on to the ground-I never worry about getting any milk when I'm training 'em, that comes later.
DON'T STOP UNTIL SHE IS EMPTY!

And lastly, do this at least once a day, every day, until she does well. And separate her from her kid, too, this makes them more willing to be milked.

Good luck!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
58,256 Posts
You can milk her totally out. That baby will still get plenty of milk. Then you will probably need to milk out the side that he doesn't nurse. You just have to keep working at it. Have someone there again, hobble her legs or tie them to something. Put a bucket or something under her so she can't squat but you can still milk. She is trying to save it all for her kid plus she isn't used to you milking her. So she is going to give you trouble until she realizes that you ARE going to milk her.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we have one just like that. she would go to the auction if she wasnt so beautiful. the best we could do was have someone hold her tail up straight, but as soon as she weaned her kids, she weaned us too. i think out of spite.
i do have to say that she came from an abusive home and it has taken 8 months just to get to the petting stage. we will keep her coming to the parlor for treats and a little grain, maybe next time will be better.
I will try the tail thing:) thanks.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can milk her totally out. That baby will still get plenty of milk. Then you will probably need to milk out the side that he doesn't nurse. You just have to keep working at it. Have someone there again, hobble her legs or tie them to something. Put a bucket or something under her so she can't squat but you can still milk. She is trying to save it all for her kid plus she isn't used to you milking her. So she is going to give you trouble until she realizes that you ARE going to milk her.
She isn't nursing the baby AT ALL. Lol so that's the problem & that's why I'm milking her:)
Thanks for the bucket idea!!!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry you got hurt :( I have a doe like that-she's leaving tomorrow.

One, don't stop milking when she kicks! If you do, you will be rewarding her kicking, therefore re-enforcing that if she kicks, you stop milking. Not something you want to do, of course.

Two, what I do when I train a goat is: Tie it to a fence, tie on hobbles, press hard right by the hip, and milk on to the ground-I never worry about getting any milk when I'm training 'em, that comes later.
DON'T STOP UNTIL SHE IS EMPTY!

And lastly, do this at least once a day, every day, until she does well. And separate her from her kid, too, this makes them more willing to be milked.

Good luck!:cool:
Thank you!!!!
I never stop milking. Never.
I understand the whole never quit thing, I show!(;
I'm gunna be milking her as much as possible.
I do separate her from her buckling.
I have to worry about getting milk though so her baby & 2 baby boers can live!!! Lol

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
With hard kickers, I think it's better to tie just one leg up, or have someone hold it, like Katelynn said. She'll still try to kick that leg, but she probably won't kick the other one because she'd throw herself off balance. If both legs are tied together and they kick hard, they'll wind up kicking both legs out from under themselves and falling down on the stand, like you experienced.

Do you know if she was machine milked before you got her? That might have something to do with her attitude.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With hard kickers, I think it's better to tie just one leg up, or have someone hold it, like Katelynn said. She'll still try to kick that leg, but she probably won't kick the other one because she'd throw herself off balance. If both legs are tied together and they kick hard, they'll wind up kicking both legs out from under themselves and falling down on the stand, like you experienced.

Do you know if she was machine milked before you got her? That might have something to do with her attitude.
I don't believe she was machine milked.
I thought about that also!!
I will try & find out but MAN! She was tough..

·
1,524 Posts
When I have one that is acting out on the milk stand, I use either a piece of baling twine or a horses curb strap as hobbles.

For the baling twin I cut it at the knot. Double the twin so there is a "U" at one side and two cut ends at the other. Put the 2 loose ends thru the U with her rear foot in the middle just above the pastern. Take the free end and wrap it around the other rear leg 3 times and tie with a quick release knot. The legs should be square under the doe when she is standing. This keeps them from kicking or stepping in the bucket. A few times with this and they stop acting up on the stand.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I have one that is acting out on the milk stand, I use either a piece of baling twine or a horses curb strap as hobbles.

For the baling twin I cut it at the knot. Double the twin so there is a "U" at one side and two cut ends at the other. Put the 2 loose ends thru the U with her rear foot in the middle just above the pastern. Take the free end and wrap it around the other rear leg 3 times and tie with a quick release knot. The legs should be square under the doe when she is standing. This keeps them from kicking or stepping in the bucket. A few times with this and they stop acting up on the stand.
Thanks lottsagoats!!!!!
Glad to know that will calm her down:)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If it had been 6 days since she kidded and the kid didn't nurse very much out of her, she was most likely in pain (super tight, full udder). If that is the case, I imagine she will be a lot better from now on if she is milked twice a day. Some does just kick for the first week or so until they get re used to being milked and the tightness of their udder. If she knows how to milk, I would smack her on her hind leg and tell her "NO!" or "Stand still!".

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it had been 6 days since she kidded and the kid didn't nurse very much out of her, she was most likely in pain (super tight, full udder). If that is the case, I imagine she will be a lot better from now on if she is milked twice a day. Some does just kick for the first week or so until they get re used to being milked and the tightness of their udder. If she knows how to milk, I would smack her on her hind leg and tell her "NO!" or "Stand still!".
Glad to know what I did was ok:)

·
8,071 Posts
Maybe that is why the previous owners got rid of her!
Boy, goat kicks do hurt! Those little feet sure pack a punch!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts