The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have begun my search for the perfect doe to match with my buck that I will be getting. My bucks faults are he is a little short bodied and his rump is slightly steep. So I found some people with does I will be adding pictures of does after this but here are my first two they have nice level long backs and beautiful rumps I think... I also posted some pictures of my buck so you get the visual.

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope so the lady is selling him for cheap because she needs hay money and doesn't want him to do nothing all winter.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I think the pedigree can be what ever the heck it can be, but two correct goats will most likely make correct kids.

I've have my fair share of goats with fancy paper's and they themselves not turn out to be much to look at.
Like when you breed to well bred goats together and end up, eh oh well.

Also found the longer the pedigree the dumber the animal, inbreeding being the culprit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 mistakes here. 1, pictures do not make a breeding. Pedigrees do. 2. Forget about what the parents look like. You are much more likely to end up with kids that look like their grand parents.
Thanks I have only looked at does with good bloodlines where the parents and grands and greats all have good conformation utters and specifically large teats.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just want to find a doe that corrects my new bucks faults they appear to be he is a tad short bodied with a little o a steep rump. But I also just found out that this specific line takes about three years to mature. So basically I just am looking for a long doe with a nice rump good utters in the background is a plus tho. Speaking of here are some more pictures of the first doe she has better conformation and utters in her genetics than the buckskin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
2 mistakes here. 1, pictures do not make a breeding. Pedigrees do. 2. Forget about what the parents look like. You are much more likely to end up with kids that look like their grand parents.
I strongly disagree. Sire and dam conformation are much more important than the pedigree. Pedigrees can look perfect on paper, but sometimes the goats behind the pedigree just won't cross well. I always look at sire and dam first.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I strongly disagree. Sire and dam conformation are much more important than the pedigree. Pedigrees can look perfect on paper, but sometimes the goats behind the pedigree just won't cross well. I always look at sire and dam first.
So like the doe and buck should correct each others faults? Or they should both have good pedigrees? I'm confused!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Forget the pedigrees. Not every goat in the world has a fabulous pedigree....but they can still be a nice animal. I'd just put that aside and look at your bucks and does. Take the pedigree into consideration last. Yes, they should compliment each other. So say you have a doe with a steep rump and you'd like to help improve that...you want your buck to have a rump as close to breed standard as possible. Then rumps should have some improvement on those kids.

You want each generation to be an improvement over the last...and that starts with matching the "right" buck with the "right" doe. :thumb: Pedigrees aren't as important as the goats themselves...in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
If that is still confusing, say you have a doe with a level rump, you want to keep that, so you'd have to breed her witha buck that has a level rump.

Or say your doe has a steep rump, you want to correct that by breeding her to a buck with a level rump.

Or say you buck has a steep rump, you'd want to try and fix that by breeding a level rumped doe to him.

Look at the conformation of the animal first then look at the pedigree.

Just as an example: Here are 2 does and a buck with a nearly level rump. A level rump is what you want in any breed of goat.
mine_11.jpg
goatbreedalpine-1270673855.jpg
iron rod buck.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts