Would You????? A CL concern.....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have the opportunity to buy a magnificent 2 year old buck with the most incredible bloodlines!!!!

But..................................

He has been raised in a dairy which had CL at one time but they have not had an abcess for quite a while and practice many preventative measures to keep a clean herd. They also vaccinate for CL since they had once been infected with it.

They are doing a blood test for CAE for me but said that a blood test for CL was useless as it would test a false positive from the vaccine. I understand that it will only test positive a short time after vaccinating and it will go back to negative fairly quickly. My friend had a doe tested that is vaccinated and she tested negative, so maybe this is true??

He is being vet checked for any other problems before I decide to bring him home but I am wondering if it is CL is a concern even though he has never had an abcess.

I really want him as he would soooo improve my herd but part of me is scared to risk it.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would pass. It's not worth the risk.

3. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I will say I have heard of a couple farms that have had CL on their property.... I assume their absesses didn't burst though or they were in quarentine as they test yearly for CL and have never had any problems.

On that note.... you do risk the issue of internal absesses.... It is possible he has those even if none are visibly seen.

It is up to you.... Personally.... Since he has been vaccinated I would pass since you can't be 100% positive if he has it or not....

4. Too scary for me to risk it.

5. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I worked on a farm briefly that had had Cl in the past but "hadn't seen any abscesses for a long time" when I got there and actually worked with the goats I noticed at least two with abscesses that no one had noticed for some reason. If you do lean more towards getting him I would inspect the herd very very carefully... personally it wouldn't be worth the risk...
    M.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I dont know, but it does sound like you are going to be paying a bit of money for him, I would guess with the vet checks and all........your call, but the way I look at it is they can test neg, then pos. and on and on, it doesnt sound like the tests are 100% for sure (of what I have gathered) so no matter what it is a risk. I respect the fact that this lady was honest, but you need to think about if it is worth it, and if you do then I go with natural goats, look for scars ANYTHING!!

7. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I would pass. CL affects the lymph nodes and goats have many lymph nodes inside their body so they can have abcesses going on inside with no notice on the outside. Also, like stated above it is always a possibility that their goats do have exterior abcesses and they missed them.

I think you could find a buck with great bloodlines from a cleaner herd.

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Paranoia is good about CL, if everyone is vaccinated then how do you know you aren't bringing the bacteria home on your feet, or the goat's feet, since it can live in the soil a very long time (they don't seem to know how long, I have heard a range of 2-10 years, they really don't know). Even if the buck hasn't got it you could bring it home. Plus it might make it harder to sell your goats to have this buck on your property. I think I would pass.

9. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Jan's point about the selling is a good one. I hadn't thought of that.
    M.

10. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    ^^^DITO! Im guessing you prob. have worked hard for the name you have and the rep. you have.

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, this buck cost a pretty penny, more than I have ever paid for a goat and that is why I have insisted that he have all the tests done. You have all given me a lot of food for thought.

12. I agree with everyone else! Sooooooo not worth the risk.....PASS. There will be another buck!

13. Quartz Ridge Ranch

Quartz Ridge Ranch New Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Georgetown, CA
    I wouldn't chance it! You have put so much time and money into your herd why chance losing everything with one goat. There are many fabulous bucks on the market, this one might be priced low because he cannot be proven to be CL free.

If I were you, I would save the money you would spend on him add a few more hundred dollars and get a buck that is fabulous and clean!!

14. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Had the same question a few years ago. Knew all the risks. But i bought him anyhow. Haven't had any problems. Worst thing he brought in was ringworm, and that's easy to clear up if you isolate.
    I totally understand why everyone is saying no! (and i have to admit, i'm not a fan of the CL vaccine at all) But if he is vet checked and the farm really hasn't had any problems for years..... The biggest risk is the unknown. In this case, you know the risk you would be taking, and it seems that it already has been managed, and will continue to be managed well. just my two cents.

Had to be different. guess i'm a rebel like that LOL

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would pass as well....putting a lot of money out for something that may infect your Does.... is not worth it in the end.......... :(

17. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I am starting to sway away from the purchase. It seems that a lot of people in this area are starting to vaccinate so there may come a time when finding a clean herd that does not vaccinate may be a thing of the past. Even some that have never had an abcess are choosing to vaccinate because it seems there is so much CL around that they are afraid that it will blow in on the wind.......

18. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The vaccination actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea if it's around the area. Unfortunately it can be picked up and spread in so many ways. :(

19. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    :ROFL:

20. jrgoat63

jrgoat63 New Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Outlook, WA
    But, still wouldn't the issue be, you would never know if it was positive or not? What I have read of the CL vaccine, 1) it is VERY hard on goats and can actually kill them! and 2) you will ALWAYS get a positive blood test, I read a lot about it before I got my dairy goats, and I never read anything about the positive ever going away??

It's interesting that you ask this question, just tonight I was speaking to a friend who raises Boers and she has some in her herd that have had it, but, she has three does who came from clean herds who have never had a problem or abcess and the Buck she had came from a clean herd and never had an issue either. They are full blood and I was possibly interested in a buckling...ONLY....if I had them all tested. And as paranoid as I have been over the goats I have now, I'm thinking I spoke out of turn and feel stupid, cause even if we tested Mom, dad and baby, it still may be too risky!! Dang it jim!!! LOL! :GAAH: