The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I'm planning way a head but...
Normally I wait till my does are like 1.5 to breed, most have never been big enough at a year. But here's my question this is Belle she was born 12/14/20. She is 85 pounds. Would you breed her this fall, October, Or give her another year. I've seen some people say 80 by 8 months but I've never bred that young. Just wanted some personal opinions, she would be my only doeling that would be big enough/mature enough this fall.
D207C94A-7117-4972-82F3-1CEED421D01B.jpeg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where I live, yes! Fullblood kids of color around here usually bring like double or more compared to commercial kids. We just started getting fullblood this winter/spring but the quality of the goats that I have bought that are fullbloods are by far better then my commercials.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I’m with CountryLineAcres. For the most part mine kid at 2 years old because that just works with when I kid. I really don’t want months on end being on kid watch (hard to believe since that’s exactly what I have going on this year lol) so it just works out that way. But I have purchased doe kids and they have been bred well before that. I go off of size. I want 100 pounds as well but also I want nice wide hips on them. That way if there is a issue there’s wiggle room for kids to move around and room for you to assist. I know I’m starting a debate here on this one but I don’t think a lot of times with a young animal being bred and a terrible mother comes from being immature but it comes from just having a hard time kidding. They hurt, they had no clue what just happened and the last thing they want when they are sore is some alien sniffing around their udder. But that’s my opinion ;)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I’m with CountryLineAcres. For the most part mine kid at 2 years old because that just works with when I kid. I really don’t want months on end being on kid watch (hard to believe since that’s exactly what I have going on this year lol) so it just works out that way. But I have purchased doe kids and they have been bred well before that. I go off of size. I want 100 pounds as well but also I want nice wide hips on them. That way if there is a issue there’s wiggle room for kids to move around and room for you to assist. I know I’m starting a debate here on this one but I don’t think a lot of times with a young animal being bred and a terrible mother comes from being immature but it comes from just having a hard time kidding. They hurt, they had no clue what just happened and the last thing they want when they are sore is some alien sniffing around their udder. But that’s my opinion ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts