Would You Buy a Buck From This Doe?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by capriola-nd, Mar 4, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If you would please look at this doe and her udder - please tell me what you think. :) She is the first doe on the page.

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/poppypa ... eners.html

I may buy her buck kid sired by NC PromisedLand PAL Playboy *S. I was going to get him a while back but thought I could wait another year before buying a buck - can't do that so I am looking at him again, since he is still available.

Her neck could be longer and rump more level but I am more concerned about her udder. Please lemme know your thoughts! Thanks! :D

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Olivia....I definately would! She has a very nice overall udder!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes certainly! I would love to see an udder like that on one of my does :thumb:

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    WOW!!! I know I am not very good at udder conformation... but to me her udder looks REALLY nice! I would say go for it! (but as I said... I don't know how much my opinion is worth :ROFL: )

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She could have a little more height in the rear but she has a very beautiful udder. Very pleasing to look at. :)

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's what I thought too. . . The dam to the buck she was bred to is said to have an awesome high and wide rear attachment, so I can hope that this buck will pass on that.

How about the fore? It looks smooth to me but not perfectly smooth. I wish they had a pic that was kind of "upside down" facing up at the udder. I could ask. . .

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Anyone else?

How about his bloodlines? Does anyone know how well Twin Creeks has crossed with PromisedLand/Buttin' Heads? The sire to this buck has the PromisedLand/Buttin' Heads - dam has a lot of Twin Creeks breeding behind her.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is a beautiful doe with an exceptional udder! What a beauty! I would definately consider purchasing a buckling out of her. I really like TX Twincreeks, PromisedLand, and Buttin' Heads so I would think a kid with all those lines behind it would be NICE!! You'll have to keep us posted, sounds like a good choice for a potential herd sire! :thumb:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks Kylee. I was kind of concerned w/ the way bloodlines can mesh together in the wrong ways. Like crossing Kingwood lines w/ Gem lines (I think I mixed that one up, it was Kingwood w/ another big bloodline) will produce kids w/ loose shoulders.

I'm probably just going to go and make a drive up there again to see the mom and dad again. It wasn't too, too long of a drive and it'll be worth it to get my hands on Sunshine and feel her conformation. I should really "buck up" and look at Playboy closer too (pee-uu! Just kidding!)

10. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Palimony was an outcross for PL- it has worked in some cases and not in others.
    One of those others just freshened, and is for sale on the PL sight.

If I were you- I would wait until Playboys sister that they kept, Peanut freshens on the 20th, and you can maybe get an evaulation of her udder either from Keith, or wait until he posts it on the site (it wiill probably be at least a week or two until he gets a photo on there since he waits until all edema has lef the udder to photograph them).
    See if they keep her after she freshens and if they retain any of her kids, that would be a big deciding factor for me.
    And then you would also have a better idea of what you are looking at for Playboys udders....

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is a really good idea, thanks!!

I just looked at PL site. . . I had been keeping an eye on it for a while, watching Palimony's daughters. One of them, Paris, I was not too impressed with. They were or are selling her soon. The other doe I just looked at, Poison, I do not like her udder at all. . . :sigh:

I will definitely wait until his sister freshens. Thanks for that idea! :D

12. ProctorHillFarm

No problem! :thumb:

Paris has been for sale for quite some time now actually- since sometime last year.
    The trend to me looks like all of their teats point out.
    I also know Palimony went to OMF- and he is now also for sale there....hmmmmmm :?

ETA: There is one Palimony daughter I LOVE: http://www.promisedlandfarm.net/Macarena.htm

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow you guys are hard on goats! I like to give them more then just a freshioning to determin if they are worth it or not. She was 10 months old when she freshioned and she freshioned only once :shrug: I think Paris is a beautiful doe. YEs her teats do stick out but as we all know....no udder is perfect.

14. ProctorHillFarm

I didnt say they were that bad- I was just making observations, thats all.
    She was asking about the outcross, and I was simply stating that it can work, and it can not, and quite a few have not according to PL standards so they are for sale.
    IMO teat placement isnt going to correct itself a whole lot with further freshenings. Capacity yes, but I didnt mention anything about their capacity :shrug:

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Teat placement can change dramatically with more freshenings, i've seen it happen a few times now.

OMF was thrilled when she got Palimony but it looks like she hardly used him. I've noticed she tends to use a buck for a season and then sell him. SO he may be a perfectly good buck, but she's used him on the does she needed and got what she wanted from him.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    You can be as hard on a goat as you want. I am not saying you cant be, those are your standards. PL has a high standard to keep and I dont blame them. I just think that to nit pick over goats that may or may not be totaly related to the doe you are interested in getting a buck from is a little over the top - but maybe I am wrong, who knows. THose are your standards and not mine so I guess its all to each person's likes and dislikes.

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I appreciate Proctor Hill Farm's input. :) If we are going to improve the Nigerian breed, then we have to "nit pick." I just want to add the best I can possibly afford (which isn't a whole lot now! :roll: ) to my herd to improve what I do have.

So, thanks to everyone for their help! I feel kind of "out-of-the-loop" on the west coast, not a whole lot of "top-quality" breeders around here that I can turn to for advice, so you guys are A LOT of help, thanks!! :D

I was looking to see what type of udders Palimony was throwing so that I can possibly get an idea of what this boy might throw or have the possibility of throwing. So, that explains why I was looking at those does and "critiquing" them w/ my limited knowledge. ;)

18. ProctorHillFarm

Its totally related- all I was saying is since Playboy himself is an "unproven" buck, he has no udders to show yet, that she should see how his littermate sister freshens- especially since she is due within days from now.....

She was worried about the outcross- and I was giving examples of where the cross worked, and where it didnt.
    I dont understand how that is "unrelated" at all???

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I didnt feel that the atmosphere of this thread keeps with the "frendly" part of our motto. Just try to remember that people are always browsing the internet and we are an open forum. Anyone can read what is written. Some things maybe better said in a PM then the open forum.

I am not telling you to change your oppions - just be careful how they are pertrayed. Not only can you make people outside the forum uncomfortable but you can make those on this forum who dont have "perfect" does feel inferior and not want to post pictures or get input because you will be criticle. Thats where I am coming from.

Remember the Motto

"keep it friendly, keep it fun"

If you feel it wont fit this then contact people you trust and value oppions of. This way everything stays private, no ones feelings are hurt or misunderstood and you get the oppions you are seeking. :thumb: