Would you buy this buck? He's 1/2 inch over height . . .

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Definitely buy him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I wouldn't buy him

100.0%
  1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Well, this lady has this really nice looking buck for sale (really, really, really nice looking buck) he is just awesome, and he has twin creeks and piddlin acres bloodlines, and his dam's udder was just awesome (compared to alot of the ones around here). However, he is 24 inches (unofficially) tall. She measured him for me today. But he has an awesome rear-leg set and is really long and nicely put together.
    I know I should probably not buy a buck for only 2 girls, but . . . .that's what I thought when I got them and Daisy came up empty and Saca lost her kids and not having a buck to breed them to is getting kind of annoying. And taking them for a 1 hour to 3 hour ride on a truck to see a buck would not be healthy for them. . . .what do you think?

He's was priced at 400 if underheight and 350 if overheight. . . .I personally think it's a good price on him.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Re: I have a Q . . . .about a buck . .

You could always get him, use him for a couple of years, and if he throws kids that are too large with your does--sell him.

3. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Oh yea, having a buck is most certantly a must...I may be selling most of my herd, but i will keep my buck with two or three does...must have stinky buck!! :love:

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I think that would be okay. Do u have his pedigree? Does he have any kids on the ground who are too tall? How old is he? If he has the bloodlines and mammary systems backing him up, then I'd use him.

In your case, getting a buck would be best. If you lived closer to other breeders, then I'd suggest doing the outside breedings, but that would not be so easy in your case. . . .

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

I don't have the pedigree of his sire, but the sire's name is Twin Creeks MF Prairie Hawk *S and the dam is a daughter of Piddlin Acres SC Chopin and Farm4Ever Amelia Dearheart

here are some pix of his parents . . .

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

Jean sent me a foreudder picture . . . but I accidently deleted the email containing it . . . .but I thought it was pretty nice.
    Here is the stinker I am thinking of buying . . .
    He is four years old, and I haven't had time to check out his kids yet.
    I will try to do it later on . . .I'm suppose to be cleaning my room right now.
    We spent the last two days making noodles and I am about ready to pass out from exhaustion . . .

Chicory Springs King Henry the Seventh.

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

I would get him; If you move to SD, you'll be like 3 hours away from me, I don't know of many good Nigerian Dwarf herds up this way.

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Re: I have a Q . . . .about a buck . .pics up

:thumbup: good point. I would have to ship one in and I really like Henry even if he is overheight. . . . . .now, making a case to my dad . . . lol . . . :roll:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

The udder on his dam looks pretty nice, could have a stronger medial. I can't tell how high her rear udder is w/ the tail in the way, but her udder is nice and round, so it's probably good.

His bloodlines are nice, not my favorite - but not bad at all. I think $350 is an okay price, but $300 would be better. :) I saw a really, really nice buck that was overheight sell for only $50, he was 26 inches though, his bloodlines were absolutely outstanding though, he was just really overheight.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

I know, her owner said she could benefit from a better medial.
    So you think I should try to get her to go down to 300?

this is what the owner said about Winnie's udder: 'Very nice udder with high attachments in rear and decent medial, although it wasn’t clipped very well and isn’t very apparent. Very nice fore udder. Easy milker, although teats could be bigger. '

11. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

bump. :cool:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    If it were me, I'd decide based on how big your does are. If your does are well within the height range, then I dont see a problem using him. If your does tend to flirt with the max. height then I would probably look for another one ...

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Since it wasnt an official measurement you cant be totaly sure the accuracy of the height measured. He doesnt look overly large -- My Sweet Pea is under height and she is bigger then any ND I have ever seen. But pictures can be deceiving if you have nothing to go off of for reference.

If he is within price range, you can get dad to agree then try for it. But dont get to disapointed if you cant get him. Sometimes that means there is something better down the road :)

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    :) Good point stacy. If I can't get him, I'm going to see about Poppy-Patch buck or wait til fall and try to ship a buck . . . I was really disappointed because I can't ship in my OMF buckling like I planned because its in the middle of moving and Dad doesnt' want to take a lot of livestock with (I had a hard time convincing him to take 3 mini goats!) and so . . . .maybe next year.
    And if I cannot get either Henry or a poppy-patch buck then I am going to have to 'try' to breed to outside buck. . . .

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Talitha -

I know Jean very well - she is the breeder of my Joe Dirt, Snow, and also of the girl China I used to have. She also owned my Blanca for a bit.

I have seen many of her goats and she is always very honest about her goats and will tell you every fault and positive on every one of them.

I love King Henry, but I would ask Jean how his kids matured out in height. I dont have any of his - but I believe Joe was a Chopin kid without digging for his paperwork and he was smaller.

16. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I think I did ask her . . .but she doesn't know as she has never retained one of his kids in her herd. I will email her and ask if she does know anyone who does own one of the kids. :thumbup:

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    IF you do get him, I'd try to get the price down a bit. I am not saying the bloodlines are bad or anything, I think you might be able to get something better for either the same price or right around that price range. . . . but you do what feels right and what works for your goats (and your dad). ;)

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Have you talked with your father about any of this first? I would talk to him before you go any farther :wink:

19. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Yes, I have talked to him . . . I didn't get a very encouraging result . . . but he said if we don't move anytime soon I could 'maybe' get a buck. He changes his mind randomly. :shrug: