Would you get this doe?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Dec 14, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I might go look at this doe who is bred already and I need some opinions on her.She's Ravenwood Advocate Anna Alpine and this is the link to see her http://ravenwoodgoats4sale.com/Does.html
    We are down in numbers since one of our does end up being sterile and the other she is in no condition to be bred this year.I REALLY need another doe for milk.Help!

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    YES, YES, YES. She looks a little weak in the chin but other than that very very nice.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I disagree she isnt weak in the chine at all.

According to her owners she has an impressive pedigree. I like the looks of her. For that price bred I think you could make out good :)

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I would say yes. Sounds like some really nice lines behind her & the buck she was bred with. Price is very reasonable too!

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    THANK YOU! Yeah price is awesome! Her lines are impressive.Olentangy lines are very desirable here.They moved to Washington so to get a part of the blood lines is exciting for my little herd.I'm super thrilled.I contacted her but can't get her till after holidays cus it's to crazy right now. Thank you for all help!! :)

6. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Congrats.....I'm happy for you.

7. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Oooh, very pretty! And bred to boot for the price, I think she is a great buy. Don't know anything about big goat lines, but she looks really nice.

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Here is another one of her does I also considered getting.I don't like the fact she is so young and bred already.Maybe just me but I like to wait till they are atleast a year old before breeding them.She is a cute little doe though.
    http://limaohio.craigslist.org/grd/2106953952.html
    I would love to get both just because we could use the milk for my soap making buisness and also I want to start making cheese BUT $600 is gonna be tough to convince my husband to spend right now. Not sure he'll go for it.He told me I could get 1 doe but man they are both beauties!

9. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would go with Anna ..very nice goat with good blood lines and nice conformation.

10. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I'm not an expert, but she's really pretty! Nice price too! But just a thought - why are they charging so little for her - such a good pedigree and bred, too? Maybe there's something they aren't saying. Not to be suspicious, just wary. Of course, if you know these people are honest there's nothing to worry about. :)

11. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Never delt with them before so can't honestly say.I think around here it's possible she isn't getting many sales.She has had her for sale since summer that I can remember seeing.I haven't looked at her personaly but with her background I would REALLY love to get her here.I think she is beautiful and would be an aset to my herd.I'm going to wait after Christmas to look at them both and I will let ya'll know who I come home with ;)

12. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Well, they both look promosing. If you could swing it, I'd get both. They would be a great starter pair.

13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm to late..Anna was sold last week.WAAAHHHHH! *sniff sniff* She does have the other doe and another for sale.Both bred and same prices.I called her and set up a time after Christmas to go look at them.Might get both

14. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Awww I'm sorry! She was so pretty. But I guess you just weren't meant to have her.
    I hope you're really happy with whatever you decide to get!

15. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm not losing the chance to get them so going Tuesday to pick one up.yes one..hubby made it clear I got to wait till spring to get another and one will be fine for now.Darn..well I should be thankful he is ok with getting the one.I guess it's my christmas present heehee

16. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I agree with the possibility that they couldn't sell them so that's why the price is low, I just bought a Purebred (registered pending) Nigerian doe whose parents are double registered AGS & ADGA from Old Mountain Farm lines, They were trying to sell her for $350 with not enough interest so they sold her to me for $125.

Good luck on your goat search!

ETA:I changed Wouldn't to Couldn't.
    ETA again, whoops lol.

17. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    So we brought home our new doe today.I was really disappointed at the one I mentioned above.Her hooves were badly overgrown and she was very skittish that it took a half hour to catch her and the ladies husband nearly knocked himself out tryen to catch her.Then I was looken her over and she never calmed down.She was in total freak mode!! I couldn't take her even with her pedigree as nice as it was.SO..I spotted another she was sellen.Hooves weren't terrible and she was semi friendly were she is comfortable with me touching her ect. Nice little doe also bred and her sire is Redwood Hills FreelanceJackpot so she has good linege just not AS good as the other two.She was $250 so not bad in price.I got her home and she was more warmed up to me and I think she will settle just fine here.I'm just alittle concerned with her being so young and bred already.She was born 3/10 I'll post pictures tomorrow.Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that explains her price - there is always "a catch" when something seems to good to be true.

as to the doe being bred - its not uncommon to breed dairy does to kid as yearlings.

19. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Heehee a "a catch" good one Stacey! I'm heading outside to get pictures now

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :p

cant wait to see pics