Would you let people try out goats?

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Gear' started by rtdoyer, Jul 6, 2016.

1. rtdoyer

rtdoyer New Member

May 5, 2010
    I am selling two prospective pack goats and the buyer would like to take them out for a test on a trail. I have never packed with these goats and they know that. What are your thoughts on whether someone should be able to take your goats out for a 'test hike'?

On one hand I say "no" - the are bonded to me and not the buyer. They will act differently with me versus them.

On one hand I say "yes" - the buyer is driving a long ways and will spend a lot of money, shouldn't they get to try out what they are buying.

What do others think? I don't live close to a trail - it is a good 2 hours to a trail.

Thanks,
    Tonia

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Is there a place closer they could try them out? Forgive me if that's a stupid question lol but tat way you could go with them. If not then I'm really not sure what I would do, if I kinda trusted them then I would say yes BUT I would have the money for them in my hand when they drove off and something that says they have X days to bring them back In the condition they left in. Take pictures make sure it's stated they are not limping, no coughing ext. if there is a flaw/issue with them then put that down. I know a lot of people will 'try' a horse out before purchasing I'm just not sure what all is stated but don't make it verbal make it on paper

3. rtdoyer

rtdoyer New Member

May 5, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. That is my thought - in regards to horses - you usually try them out.

I just don't think you would get a good feel for two goats that haven't been packing before and aren't bonded to you. There isn't a true trail close to where we live. That is the problem.

Thanks again for the reply.

Tonia

4. lilaalil

lilaalil Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Well, I would definitely get a cash deposit for their full sale price, but honestly, it sounds like this guy doesn't know much about goats. I don't think taking goats he has never met before, and who have never packed before, out to a strange trail, a long drive away, is going to tell him anything about their packing potential. Sounds like a really weird idea to me, kinda fishy, honestly. Seems like he should be able to just meet them at your place and judge their temperaments that way. He should watch how they interact with YOU, who they are bonded with, and assume that they will act that way with him once he has had them for a bit. Even with a full deposit, I wouldn't do it, just to avoid undue stress, and the chance of selling them to a clueless owner. Maybe I am missing something, though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  5. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    That. ^^°

If they absolutely think they need to test them out then it needs to be with you there. There is absolutely no way I would let someone take my goats off my property unless I have already relinquished ownership to them.

6. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

That would be a dangerous situation. The goats, not knowing what is going on, are going to be panicky and nervous. Along with that, what if they get loose? That is a poor idea, IMO. He should buy them and gain their trust at the very least before trying to pack/hike with them. If they don't work out,he can always sell and try new ones...but if they get away from him...they won't be back.

7. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    My answer would be a firm "no".

8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I would let them, but, I'm a little more set up for it. They would meet me a certain spot I have in mind, they would meet me again at the end of their hike. The goats would be wearing GPS tracking devices and I would be watching where they are at all times.

The place I'm thinking of has a very large deep river full of harbor seals and sea lions on one side, the ocean on the other, the river and ocean meet at the end of the spit. The land mass is only 600 acres and there's only one road in or out...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016