Would you show her if she was yours?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, May 3, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I know crazy title but couldnt think of anything else, sorry. Celia freshened in March. Babies are almost weaned. Im going to be showing at the end of May. Would you show her, she will be five. So she will be a senior doe thats for sure. What do you like about her, what do you think needs to be fixed on her? I know not the greatest pic but my son was trying to take it. I want to breed her to the buck of my choice this year, but want to fix things that could use improvment. Thanks in advance. O this was my first time clipping so legs didnt get done are face lol.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    to get better answers i'd get a picture from her eye level, and rear and front shots.

cute coloring though!

3. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yea I know eye level pics would be better but I dont have alot of help. Here is one of her out in the field with her babies, but not all that great either. Sorry

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    she surely looks like a solid doe but to answer your question I really need to see the udder

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to answer your question - YES I would show her. She may or may not win a grand champion but you will get her strengths and weeknesses pointed out by the judge as well as other breeders if you ask.

Honestly I do realy like her. Every goat deserves a chance so do take her to the show and her kiddos too (if they are registered as well) and you can talk to breeders about what they think she passed onto the kids and what kind of buck would best complement her.

I learned a lot just by showing (I knew only a TINY bit when I started) and everyone was so nice. Not every show person is nice so I have learned but most are. Even if you cant talk right then I would get the name and number of the breeder/s you most admired goats out of and see if they can give you pointers and such.

I love showing

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    good point stacey

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Go for it. You don't have to have the nicest looking doe in a show so you might as well try and see how she places and ask the judge (if they don't tell you) why she was place in that spot and what they think of her, etc. She looks like a nice looking doe. Showing doesn't always have to be about winning or having the best in show, just have fun!

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, definitely take her to a show. I really like what I am seeing so far. Her udder looks really good, that I can tell anyways. :) I've never been to a Nigerian show but have basically taught myself and learned from others about conformation and mammary systems. Can't wait to go to one though!

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I would show her. I don't know a lot about showing, but it is worth trying. That is how you learn! And she has BEAUTIFUL coloring BTW.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I know how you feel. I am thinking of showing Mazie and I just don't want to show up and be embarrassed.

I agree with everyone else though, show her and find out what her good and bad points are. In my experience with different animals is that most people are willing to help a newbie. Good luck!!

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks so much everyone for your help. I may go ahead and show her. So you think I should just take her babies to. I thought about showing the little girl to, but she is tiny. They are out of Brush Creek Lines and they seem to be slow growers. Maybe its just cause she had triplets, Im not sure. Im not sure what here udder looks like full cause of the babies. I need to start seperating cause they can go to new homes in two weeks. The only thing I dont like about her is that she doesnt have the straightest topline. But she is a pretty doe.

This is going to be my first show and im really nervous, im going to be showing against people like Buttin'Heads, Wood Bridge Farm, and Atwood Acres. It makes me really scared. But I know its all a learning process. Thanks again.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was going to be showing against all the main breeders in our area ---- my doe received Grand Champion Junior doe! It doesnt always mean that but it certainly is up to the judge

PRACTICE with her. She will do better if she is use to other people touching her and with you leading her around and setting her up.

when is the show?

13. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Its May 23rd, and 24th. Youth show on Sat. which my son is going to show in. The buck show is also Sat., which im going to show my little buck. Then Sunday is jr. and sr. doe shows. Im really feel like im out of my league. Its held at the Highland county fairgrounds in Hillsboro, ohio. Here is the little buck im going to show.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha I know exactly how you are feeling. If you need some pointers adn suggestions pm or email me stacey.roop@gmail.com I will be happy to answer any questions.

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    You'll do great I'm sure! The first show I showed at was the biggest show I've shown at yet, the best way to learn is just to jump in and go for it! :) Have fun!

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know. I know there is a score card for most all goats judging, not everyone totally follows it but i do know they try pretty close.
    When I judge I tell them that "today this is how I see these goats, that does not men that I would not see them different tomorrow, so PLEASE do not get discouraged if you do not place where you would like or you think you should).

I know even on a score card, there is a variance that the judge see's, so YES show her. The only thing that a judge should see and make down for is the straightness of the legs. Everything else is what the judge likes. I like big boned goats, does that look like they can carry their weight and lots of babies. If I see a goat that has pencil size legs and very thin and frail looking I tend to place them lower. But I know there are judges that like that. So YES show her and have fun.