The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking on Valley vet and Jeffers at vaccinations that they offer under sheep and goats, One of them caught my interest. Now I am very new to goats, but I have realized that most stuff mentioned on here that is used in goats are for cows and sheep but not goats and I understand why. So I was curious as to other vaccines that could be used on the goats. I come across the following as was wondering if any one would try using this on there goats.

J-Vac® E Coli

Gives cross immunity to Salmonella typhimuriumThe only core antigen vaccine with an approved dual claim as an aid in protection against mastitis caused by E. coli and an aid in prevention of the effects of endotoxemia. Contains the J-5 mutant E. coli Bacterin-Toxoid. Useful in preventing E. coli infections and salmonellosis. Has no milk withholding, a 21-day slaughter withdrawal and is safe for pregnant and lactating dairy cows. Give 2 mL IM or SQ. 2 doses recommended for initial vaccination and the 2nd dose given 2-4 weeks later. Repeat annually.

My thinking is if this would work on Goats too wouldn't this help with possible Mastitis issues. Would like to know your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Im with Karen....Prevetion through good herdsmanship and being prepared for any illness with the proper meds is how we do things..except CD&T...whichis the only vaccine we use.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I thought about using it to help with kids scours but could not find where anyone has used it on goats to see what the side effects were so I passed. I know there are vaccines out there that are OK for say a sheep but has a bad side effect on goats or simply don't work for a goat. This was a few years ago so I would suggest doing a search and if you don't find a ton of results where it was used successfully then I would pass.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My thoughts was along the lines as most of you the fewer the better, being new I wanted to make sure. Im trying to get things I know I need for the goats and came across it So I figured I'd ask. Nice to know im not the only one that feels less is better. Looking at all the different vaccines I feel overwhelmed. I did come across the CL vaccine what do you think about that one?
Thanks for all the input!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
For me..NO...I wont give it...the vaccine will show up as a CL positive in all blood work, not sure how really effective it is either.....there is a whole thread on here about CL and the vaccine I believe is discussed in length ;)

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I did come across the CL vaccine what do you think about that one?
Thanks for all the input!
I won't use it for 2 reasons - 1) the vaccine is only 85% effective and, 2) it is designed for sheep and is hard on goats. Texas labs has come out with a vaccine for CL specifically made for goats, but it is too new to be able to determine how effective it is yet.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I know of 4 people that have used it for the past few years with no side effects. If you have a clean herd don't do it. If not or is unknown then look into it a little more. Like crazy goat said it has not been out that long so you never know. I myself keep going back and forth on getting it. I was dead set to get it a few months ago bit was on back order so I kinda took that as a sign and am holding off again for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.