Would You??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by capriola-nd, Mar 31, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think I know your answers to this question already but. . . I'll try anyways.

Would you buy a buckling out of a high-quality doe with a very nice udder and GCH wins even though she could use more extension in the foreudder ?? It is a tough decision for me. This doe has superb teat placement and awesome medial but could use that improvement in the foreudder. Most of our does could use improved medials and teat placement but a few could use more extension in the fore.

What would you do if you were me??

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    If you breed him only to the does that are good in the fore then I would think it would be ok.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there is no forudder picture so i dont know how 'bad' it is. But if he is within your price range and obviously she won Grand Champion dispite this flaw so yah it would be worth it to me

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I'd have to see it to make a decision...how bad is "bad"
    beth

5. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Wow- I love the looks of that rear udder shot- agreed I would like to SEE the foreudder- but as stated, dont breed him to does that need a lot of improvement in that area
    Also- check out the sires dam to see if the sire to this buckling could have improved on the foreudder area at all.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Here's what she said:
    Here is the link to the sire's dam: http://www.oldmountainfarm.com/Does-Ref-RFHazelNut.html She looks like she could use more height/width in the rear but fore looks pretty good, from a distance.

I don't have a close-up shot of her foreudder but do have a side pic of the doe.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh I really like her over all, nice length and forudder isnt to bad.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Okay, this is my just trying to learn. Is she a little bit boxy? Or is that a pretty good over all shape.

I think she is pretty but what what do i know :scratch:

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

She has a nice medial, but she doesnt look like she has much milk in there. How does her medial look when she has 12-14 hours of milk in her? nice teat placement but she definatly needs a more extended fore and high wider rear attachment. She has a long neck but is a little boxy and heavy. Her hips apear higher then her withers. And i dont like her front end assembly.
    Yes she wone a GCH, but what was her compitition like? I had a doe go best in show several years ago, she was a so-so doe. nice but nothing special, however there wasnt much for compition. Ther were around thirty animals but nothing nicer then she was.

beth

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't know. . . I'd have to wait until June to see what she'll look like with that full an udder and earlier in lactation. That udder photo was taken about five months after freshening with twins, so isn't as impressive as it would be about 3 months after freshening.

She said the competition was really stiff.

I quote this from her website:
    The udder photo was taken when she took the grand at the show in June, 08 - she had freshened in early January.

Not sure if Oregon State Fair is a sanctioned show for ADGA or AGS?? :shrug: If it is, then Bianca must be super close to being a permanent champion.

Could be a bad picture because I am told her front end assembly is great and that she cannot find fault in her conformation. . . this breeder is very honest too.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    her hind legs are up on some gravel/ground debre' as you can see her right rear hoof isnt standing level. So yah it is a "pasture" photo and not a set up one.

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Bianca is one I've always liked so I wouldn't think she would be a bad herdsire dam.

I think you should buy bucks who compliment your herd. If you have a lot of extremely strong foreudder does then a buck with a dam who's a little less than ideal wouldn't be bad. But if you have does with weak foreudders and buy a buck from a dam who's also weak in the fore, then you can only expect more of the same.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yes, I realize that. It's kind of difficult with our does because it's kind of half and half. I suppose the majority though could use stronger medials and better-placed teats. This fellow should correct that. I am about 80% sure we'll get him but I can't get the breeder to answer a question for me. . . whether his dam has a pocket in the fore or not.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree that youre dealing with a very honest breeder her. She is great and just as nice in peraon. I think the biggest thing is looking at the does you have right now. What are the two biggest things you want to improve with your next buck? Then look at the doe youre potentially getting a buck kid from. Does that doe surpass your does in those two areas? Remember one buck can only do so much.
    beth