WOUND ABOVE GOATS HOOF

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hann, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Boer goat has wound almost circling above his hoof, it is scabbing but I'm worried about it getting infected. Am just using blue kote and it seems to be helping. What are the signs of an infection? he's running around, eating, and acting normal.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Treat for mites.

Scrape all the scabs off and put Nu-stock on it every 3 days or at least 1 x a week.
    Also give Ivomec Inj SQ 1 cc per 40 lbs then 2 weeks later.
    Put eprinex pour on or something that kills mites.

3. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Could it be a fungal infection? its been pretty wet where I live but I haven't had them in the pasture when the grass is wet. Still muddy though when I let him out. So I have noticed now he has red raw looking spots on his other leg. I have been spraying blu-kote all over his legs and also washing them. The front of his hoof is completely hairless with black scabs and red raw skin underneath. I am a relatively new goat owner and I haven't seen anything like this. If he had a mite or fungal infection would he be acting normal? And our other goats have been with him and nothing is happening to them. He is also eating and running and it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, he can act normal other than scratching himself with his mouth a lot, if it is mites.
    Not all get them, some fight them off better even in the same pen. So, it can very well be mites.

5. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Thanks for the help

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California