The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help. I have a weathered goat who had injured his leg, have had the vet here many times. Tested negative for CAE the vet couldn’t find anything wrong. But he does not walk on his right front leg. He holds it up , he still manages well but his callous on his knee started cracking ,then bleeding, we bandaged it , now the whole callous has fallen off and it is raw and tender, we’ve been cleaning it with peroxide then applying antibiotic cream then wrapping it in gauze My question is , is there anything else I should be doing to make this heal better?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Peroxid is ok for the initial cleaning but that's it.. I would get vetrycin would spray or allum shield (silver spray) . A light gauze cover is ok to keep flies and some dirt out but not too heavy..needs to breath a bit.
When the callous came off, was there pus, any strong smell? To me sounds like he may have got an abscess, possibly caused by sticker and its cleaning out .. Hows his temp?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peroxid is ok for the initial cleaning but that's it.. I would get vetrycin would spray or allum shield (silver spray) . A light gauze cover is ok to keep flies and some dirt out but not too heavy..needs to breath a bit.
When the callous came off, was there pus, any strong smell? To me sounds like he may have got an abscess, possibly caused by sticker and its cleaning out .. Hows his temp?
There was no smell or pus. It first cracked and bled. I did get some vetrycin at Tractor Supply. He doesn’t have a temp. I did get some gauze and it’s wrapped. Should I change it every day

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Yes I would change it daily. As soon as it seems less Oozie or wet..leave unwrapped to finish healing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts