Wow, a weird thing happened to my kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Dec 1, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I was moving the does with baby kids from their mothing pens out into the new paddock. I looked at this little buck kid earlier in the day and laughed, because he had a piece of bark hanging out of the corner of his mouth, walking around quite happily with it. Anyway, we've all seen them do that before with hay, leaves etc so I didnt think much of it.

Later when I picked him up to carry him to the new paddock, I pulled it out of his mouth and what I found ... was his entire mouth was filled up and compacted with a heap of hay, bark and leaves. His entire mouth and part of his throat was full up! He is only probably a week old, and the lump of stuff was probably a big handful for me! His mouth was full right up to the roof.

Thats bizarre, I'd never heard of anything like that before.

Wow, poor kid. I dont know how he was managing to suck, but he must have been because when I told mum she said - yeah I saw that one with stuff hanging out of his mouth a few days ago :shocked:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy that is weird and scary. Was it sapy wood? might have stuck together and to his mouth that way

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I tell you they are just like our own children. You just can not turn you back on them. You never know what they will get into.
    Good thing you found it before the baby choked.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't mean to scare you but he's ok as a kid isn't he? He doesn't act weird or sickly otherwise? The only reason I ask is because a few years ago I had a kid born here and from the day he was born until the day he died he always had straw, hay etc caught in his mouth/throat. You'd see him walking around with big pieces hanging around his mouth. He was a really sickly kid and he died at two months of age from pneumonia and other complications.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    No, he is fine otherwise, a normal happy healthy kid and it hasnt appeared to affect him otherwise. It just amazes me the strange situations that goats can get themselves into :roll:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow it makes you wonder just how long ...he was that way... very strange and scarey....glad you looked into his mouth when you did ........and he is OK..... :)

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow, how strange! Poor little guy, that must have been uncomfortable.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Maybe he was trying to scare you Keren! Good grief, that, or he confused mom's udder with hay, bark, and leaves. lol!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think he decided to be a vacuum cleaner.... :shocked:

10. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    :slapfloor:

Yeah how vacuum cleaners get clogged with cat fluff or hair :roll:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    we can name him dyson!!

13. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Or hoover :slapfloor:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Actually dyson would be better seeing as its a D year ...

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ........dyson it will be... :thumbup:

17. PiccoloGoat

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    haha keren I agree

I dare you :wink:

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i had a doe kid that did that with grain one time. She was about five months old so she had been on grain aand hay for awhile.I gave the kids their little bowl to share, and i guess she ate too fast (she was the boss and the largest of the kids) I was doing other chores and heard someone coughing a lot. walked over the melody heaving. I grabbed her and turned her upside down and patted her side and chest quite firmly. The poor girl had grain coming out her nose. as well as wads of thick foamy stuff. Its amaxing what they can get themselves into.
    beth

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Hey Sarah, I'm thinking you're right about this kid (dont you love it when people tell you that!)

Last night before bed I did the night check, I saw that same kid, piece of hay hanging out his mouth. I thought ... surely not ... and grabbed it ... surely yes, his mouth was full again :shocked:

Gonna have to keep checking this kid :roll:

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    LOL

I'm not saying he'd be like my kid, but my kid was really off as a kid anyway, he was never as active and I don't know how many times I pulled wads of stuff out of his mouth.

Love the name Dyson btw :wink: