WOW, What a weekend. :GAAH:

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sweetgoats, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Ok, I told you all that I would be gone this Friday night and Saturday, and I was a little worried. Well I got a call form DH and he said that the herd just grew. He said that Sophie had triplets, and Valentine had a single. OK, Valentine was way to big to have only one. Well we left Denver early and headed home, (2 hours away). We got home got the barn coat and cloths on and headed out. Sophie is white and she had a white baby and two blacks. Mom is white and so is the buck, ( I do know that does not always mean you will get white, but). DH had them all in stalls and gave the Molasses water and the babies Nutra Drench.
    Well we were with Sophie and she was just NOT right. Well I told my daughter that I had to glove and lube up and go in. Well I did do that. OH MY GOSH. She had another baby in there. AND it was breach total butt first. It took me like 4 minutes to get a hold of the feet so I could pull it out. FINALLY it came out. 15 POUNDS. She was also dead. I felt so bad that is the first baby we have ever lost. Well before I went in she started to butt one of the babies away. Then she started to REALLY butt her and she was biting her and throwing her. :GAAH: I thought the reason she was doing this was she was hurting. Well we decided to pull the baby and I called a friend and asked if they would like another baby. I could not do a bottle baby right now. They said sure, so they came over to get their new baby. We went out and milked mom so she would have the Colostrum. The took it for the night and they couldn't get her to nurse at all, so they brought her back to see if we could hold the mom and let her nurse.
    OK, we started looking and we were like " maybe that was not ever her mom". This baby looked just like the baby of the other doe (Valentine). So we took her in with Val and tried to see if she would take her. :pray: she was not butting her but she would walk away. So we held her and the little one nursed really well and for a good time. So now we are thinking that some how that little doe got over to the other mom. So I took some milk for mom and I put it all over the baby and the other baby so they would smell alike. Once the other baby would nurse then she would let both of them.
    Ok, I feel really dumb because we do not know for sure who the moms of what babies. We did not think that they were that close at all to kid. The did have the babies in different areas but they were only about 12 feet away from each other. We did not lock them up, because like I said I no idea they were that close. In 48 hours we have had 7 babies and 6 were does, and we lost one.
    Anyway, here is some pictures of the babies.
    Valentines for sure baby. Doe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sophie's The white on is for sure hers, we are not sure at all about the black ones. The one with the white spot is the one we took away and put with Valentine, she looks just like Vals other one and they are the exact same weight,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ohhhh - they are so cute - I want babies!! WAHHHH!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would say that the doe with out a mom belongs to Val. I have seen a doe kid and have a second come so fast that the first kid starts to stand up and walk around and gets "lost"

Of course you will never know unless you do DNA testing but I am almost postive that that doeling doesn't belong to Sophie.

And beings that val was to big to jsut only have one .....

they look beautiful - so congratulations.

SO SO sorry you lost the one kid - I know the terrible feeling and it hurts oh it hurts, please know you have my sympathies.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacie I do agree with you. I am just hoping Val will take it. I am also wondering about other black one. I really do not think she is Sophie's but she is taking care of it so right now I really do not care. On them, I should be able to see who had what baby for sure when they are a little older. See Sophie does not have the nicest fiber at all, it is really closer to Cashgora and I can see it fairly early, but Valentine on the other hand, she has beautiful fiber and all her babies had the same fiber. SO hopefully I will be able to tell by the fiber when they get a little older.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that is helpful for you.

yah a black kid from two white parents probably doesn't happen often

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Congrats on all the new arrivals, so sorry you lost one. But it happens. even if you had been there she might not have survived. I hope all goes well with all the others. I would get a DNA test done to be sure on the one kid. They arn't very expensive and they can do it with hair. Its not like a big blood draw or anything.
    beth

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well they're adorable. I hope things work out for you. Glad you were able to get that other kid out. Sorry you had to lose it though.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thanks,
    We have put the "odd" baby with Val and she was wit hher for the night. When I went out to feed this AM, she has a almost full tummy. So I was happy that she was nursing at night. I help Val and let her nurse more.
    Well my daughter stayed home today because we have another one that looks like will be kidding any time, she is doing the bard breathing and all, so I told her to just stay home and be on baby watch. Well she went in with Val and she was starting to butt that baby pretty hard. She was out jumping around and playing with the other baby and she would butt her and she would go run under the hay feeder. :sigh: I was really hoping that we were getting closer for her to take the baby. So I might have a bottle baby after all.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh bummers! I hope that this isn't the case but if not, well she sure will be a cute bottle baby :D

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh those babies are just gourgeous!!! Congrats!!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I had another doe kid today and she took her. :clap: :leap: :leap: She is a first time mom and I just wiped the "fluids" all over her, and she started to clean her right up and let her nurse.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is such a blessing - perfect timing for the birth of the other doe.