WTH is up with my doe?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by wylie1, Mar 9, 2020.

1. wylie1

wylie1 New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Hi All!
    I have been struggling with this off and on for years now, and it's out of control this time. I have a 10 year old nubian doe, Louise. I've only bred her twice. It's been almost 5 years since the last time she was bred.
    Last month one side of her udder started filling up. I milked out a bunch of brown liquid. I emptied her udder, treated her with Today, and she filled up again. I milked her out again, treated her again. Repeat this cycle for a week. The fluid is now mostly just a red, water like fluid. No chunks, no heat, not hard, no fever, once milked out, it's soft like an emptied water balloon, and she's eating and acting fine.
    History, she is a heavy milk producer. She had a precocious udder before ever being bred, and ended up with a large, hard fiberous lump, about the size of a large fist, on both sides of her udder, at the top (near her body). This never interfered with her milk production, she nursed her triplets, and they all got "milk neck" from having so much.
    I have no idea what to do to make her stop producing this liquid, or why she started producing it. I don't believe there has been any injury. I don't know if I should try to dry her up like if it was milk, or to keep treating her like it's mastitis, even though it doesn't seem like mastitis. I
    I usually give her and the four other goats a flake of alfalfa to share, every other day, and they have good grass hay. I have to give her some grain to milk her, but yesterday I tried just having my husband feed her some cheerios instead. (She won't get up on the milk stand, and I can't get her up there any more.)
    If anyone else has had experience with this, I'd appreciate any advice or information on this subject. Even if you don't have experience with it, advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Having the stuff tested for what ever bacteria it is, is a way to know how to treat.
    It may be staph or something which needs something stronger to treat.
    A vet should look at her.

The test may be messed up by already treating her, but it needs to be done to further help her.

wylie1, happybleats and farmerA like this.