X-ray Safe to Determine Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis

Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis Breeding Dual Registered American Oberhasli For Da

Just curious if it would be safe to X-ray a pregnant doe is get an idea on number of kids. We do this with our dog breeding program, and was curious if anybody has ever done this with the goats. Thanks!

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I have heard of this being done for dogs and it always befuddled me! How can it be safe for the puppies?! Hopefully somebody has an answer for you! I know that late pregnancy ultrasound has a difficult time determining the number of kids.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I know they have to do the x-rays on difficult birth dogs- ie bull dogs and other breeds that have small pelvises and
    large headed pups. Never heard of it on goats.

I suppose if there was a serious problem with the doe, it should be done, but not sure if it would be a good idea for just a "wondering" type thing. Most goat people around here can't or don't want to pay out the $$ for an x-ray and risk a traumatic visit to the vet. (none of the "goat" vets have portable x-ray equip. Our closest would probably be Ohio State Univ. in Columbus- 4 hr. drive).

4. Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis

The cost is not that much ($60) and our vet an hour away can do it. Not sure why, but the dogs have never had a problem with the X-rays. We use it to get an idea of how many puppies to expect, as one of our dogs came from a litter of 19.....

5. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Repeated exposure to radiation is bad for developing fetuses. With a dog or goat a single exposure is unlikely to cause issues but that potential is there. Id opt for an ultrasound if I was curious if there were multiples. With dogs there are usually quite a few puppies and it's hard to count accurately with an ultrasound. You'd be able to tell there was more than one with the ultrasound without the radiation risk.

I guess I personally wouldn't risk the radiation exposure for curiosity even if it's unlikely to cause problems.

A cheap blood test or an ultrasound can confirm pregnancy more safely.

6. Onion-Creek-Oberhaslis

Okay thank you. I appreciate everyone's input. :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah, I wouldn't risk it. Ultra sound is safer.