Ya know...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I don't want to bad mouth anyone... but I'm livid. :angry:

If *you* want to call yourself a breeder and have 20+ does, TAKE CARE OF THEM. I just spent an hour trying to clip my poor does hooves when the clove walls and frogs had grown together and into the freaking pads. So brittle, the hooves are flaking. Shaped like elf shoes. That's so sad. The way they freaked out, I'd say the girls hadn't been trimmed in years. :sigh:

:veryangry: Lazy, irresponsible people really tick me off. Especially when they're supposed to be promoting the breed. Don't say *you* care when it's quite obvious that you don't.

No names mentioned :hair:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    That's too bad...I always hate hearing about neglected animals :(

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I know what you mean! When I pay $300+ for a goat, I expect it to have the basics done. Especially when I send a deposit a month or so beforehand & they know I'm coming--they have plenty of time to get things ready! I dislike sitting around for an hour waiting for people to get cd/t's & tattoos done when I have to drive 4 hours still to get home!

4. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:thumb: Totally agree with that. I like my does lice and worm free, with nicely trimmed hooves when I buy them.
    I make it a habit to de-lice, and deworm and do a hoof job before any of my goats leave my property. It's a good habit for any goatkeeper and people really apreciate it.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    That's what I'm saying. I'm so glad I didn't pay asking price for them, because I would have been REALLY po'd. How can you ask $4-500 for a doe that you don't even take care of? UN-freaking-REAL.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is sad ...that you pay all that money..... then find ...you have to deal with her hoofs.... :( some goats grow at a very fast rate and it is our responsibility as a breeder... to care for that animal while in need.....They definitely.. cannot trim themselves... Some goats need trimming more often then others..... I am sorry you have to deal with this..... and hopefully after a few trimmings... she will be OK... :hug:

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I wish I would have taken pictures because they were ridiculous. They didn't look *that* bad from watching them walk around, but thought I'd trim them up just incase. Low and behold what I found. Sheesh. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

8. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear that. It angers me too! If you can't take care of that many properly, then get rid of them!!! I feel for you :(

-Meagan

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm seeing more and more "goat mills" as I call them here lately. Just went through an ordeal with one recently.

Depressing.

10. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    Well....take some comfort in the fact that that breeder just lost a customer and anyone you might have told about them. I try to give my customers any info up-front, especially if they are coming from a long distance. But, I agree, not having CD&T shots and hooves trimmed....come on! I try to give my customers a fair price and be very honest about my goats because I want them to come back and I want them to tell their friends about me as well. That is how we survive in the goat community!

I totally agree....LAZY!!!!