Ya think I'd know better by now!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    So I had my sucker hat on the other day, and ended up bringing home a huge doe, she looks big enough to be a boer x of some sort, although she is suppose to be a pygora..she kidded a week ago with trips...
    She looks healthy and happy, eating and has gobs and gobs of milk!! IO did notice though that she has these little pustules on her udder...it is quite hairy and googy from kidding and it's all dried on her udder, so I have not shaved her clean yet..although I would love to clean her up...
    My first thought was she just got little puss pockets from laying in the straw with a googy udder, but cl is in the back of my mind, I will be sending off blood today or tomorrow..I DO NOT plan on opening up the little sores, but just wonder if ya'all have ever seen such a thing??
    She also has a nasty creamy discharge, so I gave a flocillin shot, along w/ BoSe and CD&t...
    ANy other ideas?? I am keeping her away from my goats also, just can't know what it is and I don't want to risk any problems..
    Thanks so much for any ideas...

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Victoria asked me to post photos, so here they are:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Looks like a staph type infection, cl is a deep abcess, not surface pustules. Washing her with an antibacterial wash and keeping the udder dry will help. Also, the creamy discharge is normal in some does...it's when it has a foul odor that an antinbiotic is reccommended.

Congrats on the trips!

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    That makes perfect sense!! See why I need you people?? You are great!! Thanks!!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah probably a simple staff infection -- I would treat locally and if that doesnt work then treat with Penicillin

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Looks like staph to me too. Ten days of pen. And rubbing a bit of today or tomorrow on those spots will help.
    ebth

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Sounds good..I will start today, thanks guys for your help!!

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I completely agree with Staph!