yard size? dealing with parasites....ugh!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 26, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    For 4 goats......2 pygmy mixes (65 lbs at 1yr. old) other 2 are dwarf nigerian......what would a good size yard be? we are getting ready to fence another bigger yard for the 4, right now they are split into 2 seperate yards.......that would give me 3 yards that I could rotate.....my guys are on grassy lots which I am finding not so good for worm and cocci issues.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Re: yard size?

I think the general rule is 100 sq feet per full sized dairy goat, i guess you could cut that in half for minis.
    beth

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Denise, I have 5 does in a 60x40 pen, my 3 bucks are in a 32x40 pen and most is grass, but the areas they are commonly in are in front of their sheds so it is mainly dirt. I can rake the dirt areas out as there are the most berries there........also, the goat pens are not shaded, they are in full sun for most of the day, I do have tarp shelters in the yards to provide a bit of shade, wether the full sun is the reason I don't have a parasite issue, I don't know.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Thanks Liz......my 2 little guys are in a yard approx. 56 x 34, full sun and hubby built them a covered shelter for shade. Jake and Elwood are in a yard bigger than that, they have another small barn within their yard and the grain dryer that is no longer used sits in their yard, they use it as shelter......when it's hot they lay up under it, tall enough they can walk right under it, they also have 2 concrete pads in their yard, but then rest is all grass........J and E's yard is where I'm seeing parasite problems right now......of course the weather has not helped......I had to worm older boys this week and also their cocci numbers are way up so I have already started treatment.....I thought at a year old they would have some immunity. I canceled going out of town with hubby and stayed home to treat boys. I feel like all I do is clean inside and out, although it is almost impossible to clean up berries in the grass..... I keep concrete pads cleaned off. I don't know if bigger boys are having more issues than the little ones because the little guys do not graze/browse like the older boys. I also still have little ones on Deccox for cocci prevention.

Thank goodness, hubbies racing season will be over in 2 wks and he will not be out of town so much, we plan on fencing in another yard about the size of the 2 yards I have now combined and put all 4 goats together.

Sorry soooooo long, just frustrated......take care, Denise

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is frustrating :hug: And it is pretty much impossible to keep grassy areas clean,

Are your boys showing any sign that they are having problems with the worms? Skinny, rough coats, just looking ill in general? With certain worms, all goats will have a few as you know and it is impossible to keep them totally clear, this is how they build up the immunity to the bugs.

Seeing the eggs on fecals of course warrants action, once the new pen goes up, worm them a few days before they go in it, so that the worms are passed into the old pen and not the new, rotating is good to do when there is a parasite problem.

The boys have all been dosed with ivermectin and safeguard right? Is it at all possible that the parasites in your area are immune to these wormers? It seems as though the worms are continung to be a problem even though you have treated them. It might be time to change wormers, talk with your vet and see what he suggests, this may not be a widespread problem but could be something to bring to his attention so that others in your area can also get a wormer that will work.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/wormers.htm#dectomax

Fiasco site has a list of wormers that may work better for your boys.....avoid the Avermectin types which are all basically Ivermectins as well as the Febendazole wormers, as they seem to not have worked for your boys....there are others such as Levamisole that you may have better luck with. Good Luck I know exactly how disherartening it is when you can't seem to keep your fur babies bug free... :hug:

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Talked with vet his week....fecals warranted worming them (I used Ivomec) and then when I re-fecaled 4 days later.....numbers had actually gone up ....so called the vet he said we could tried Panacur and see, they have been wormed with it in the past (when they 1st came home) and it worked......vet agrees that Ivermectin is not cutting it in our area any longer......he said if all else fails we can go to Cydectin, but not until we have to......I guess it is the biggie of wormers. I also use Molly's Herbals on top of everything else. I know Panacur is Safeguard and a lot of people have nothing good to say about it, but if it works then I'll use it. I fecaled this morning and worm numbers were actually down, but cocci numbers were numerous in Jake......he has no symptoms, but I'm not waiting until he does.....although he did have clumpy poop. I do think both my older boys coats are dry, they both just went through shedding out, I had the whole flaky skin thing as you had......their eyelids are pale to me, but always have been.......they both act very normal.....they play and have plenty of energy, eat great (a little on the fat side).....They aren't at deaths door, but I just would like them to be as healthy as possible....my other little boys have very silky, soft shiny coats...I have been told by many to copper bolus, but I am so afraid of it and my vet didn't agree with it.....I have them on Golden Blend minerals........I wish I could find the Blue Seal EZ pels......I am getting ready to head to TSC and I think I might get some Manna Pro, I think that's what it is called........good thing I just got my monthly check for our natural gas wells in Texas, if it wasn't for that monthly check.....hubby would probably not be so nice about how much I spend on my critters......but it comes from my side of the family, so he can't say a word :greengrin: !

Li

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    TSC here used to carry Sunshine Plus pellets, made by Blue Seal.....I can't find the EZ pels either so I got a small bag of Calf Manna and give my boys a handful of that with a few drops of flax seed oil, has done wonders with the dry skin and dull coats. I would use whatever wormer still works in your area, around here, ivermectin still works but for tapes the febendazole has become resistant which is why I had to talk with my vet about the Pyrantel. I really hope this puzzle with your boys is solved soon....and simply too. :hug:

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks once again Liz.....yes, what I got was Calf Manna.....I'm glad to hear that is has done some good for you.....I had already started giving them flax seed oil....happen to see some capsules at the Dollar General and grab them....I have been breaking one capsule and squirting it on top of their BOSS they get each day.

Well, thanks so much.....I'll be anxious to see what happens when we get them all moved into a new yard, but I won't until all clear of parasites....then we will just close off Jake and Elwoods yard and let it sit for some time. Take care and so hoping and praying things go ok with your sis, Denise