The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah they are fun....I love watching them learn to act like chickens. I am actually surprised that the hen is still so attentive at this stage...she still tries to get all of the chicks under her wings at night...LOL!

I would love to see a picture of your chicks cuddled up to their "mom" ...I bet it is adorable :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I apoligize for horning in on your thread, however I have a question, and this seemed like the right place to to do it.....
I have a broody hen and have removed most of the eggs from her nest, they stink and werent doing anything. I have checked the eggs with a flashlight (candled) and the last 5 were totally dark.
She has had one chick (dead) and the other few that had chicks in the eggs never made it.
I would like to know if I can take eggs just laid by other chickens in the nest boxes and put these eggs under the broody hen. If so, should I do this as soon as the eggs are laid? I could probably candle the eggs first, however, we get plenty of eggs so I could "take my chances."
Thanks!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes candle them to make sure they're good eggs. No spots, blemishes or anything like that. You can just stick them right under her and she'll hatch them out for you. I have 40 silkies and this is all I have ever done with them if I want another breed hatched that won't go broody. Beats buying an incubator, lol.
I know with mine it took them a try or two to get it down pat.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts