The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog got ahold of my goats ear tip and tore it....about one inch from the tip and about one inch accross....any suggestions for care ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My dog bit at my goats ear when he stuck it outside the pen and now he has a tear on the tip of his ear, about an inch up from the tip and an inch accross....any suggestions for care / treatment. I've already put chicken wire around the pen so it won't happen again. Don't know much about goat raising. Used to larger animals.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would use Iodine and wrap it until it scabs over to keep the infection out. The iodine will help to close it up fast and keep infection out. I swear by it for my herd.

·
8,163 Posts
Clean it well with mild soap and water and put antibiotic salve or spray on it.
You may need to just snip it off with clean scissors. By now it is probably too
late to sew it back on. Just keep it clean! Is the goat up to date with a tetanus shot?

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree with Goats Rock.

I would though, clean it with iodine /water and spray with blue cote. Keep the flies off of it.

If the wound isn't fresh anymore, it is too late to just stitch it. Unless you want the vet to snip new edges on it and then stitch it together. I had a vet do that to a horse ,it was to late to just sew together , but he snipped the edges off to make a new area to be sewn together, it looked really good when healed, that is if you are worried about the look and show the goat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts