Yearling Pack goat with weak pasterns - from getting stuck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jenna Wegleitner, May 22, 2020.

1. Jenna Wegleitner

Jenna Wegleitner New Member

May 22, 2020
    Utah
    Our yearling pack goat - Bourye - had his head stuck in his feeder. He may have been there for multiple hours. When we got him out his back hooves splayed and he is not walking upright- looks like weak pasterns. It is just his rear hooves as he was somewhat up on them in the feeder He is walking, eating and drinking but we are worried they won't straighten up. We have done some reading about selenium/copper/zinc deficiencies but this seems to be more from trauma. His twin brother - Whiskey - has no issues and neither have ever had hoof issues. Image attached. Any ideas or has anyone else ever seen this?

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd be giving him a BoSe shot and a Banamine shot along with a B Complex shot.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Looks like selenium deficiency to me. I would do everything suggested above

Jenna Wegleitner likes this.
  4. Jenna Wegleitner

May 22, 2020
    Utah
    thank you! Would this deficiency come on this quickly? Or could it be injured?

5. ksalvagno

I think it is more injury.

6. Jenna Wegleitner

May 22, 2020
    Utah
    sorry so many questions. But the BoSe, Banamine, and B complex could help him come back from that injury?

7. ksalvagno

Supportive care. More than likely he is selenium deficient. Banamine helps with pain and inflammation. B complex just an all around supportive.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yikes! That looks pretty nasty. Is it both pasterns or just the one side? I've never seen an injury like that. If he were mine I'd be heading to the vet for a professional opinion. If he tore tendons, ligaments, etc. his future as a packgoat does not look promising. However, a vet would be a better judge and might be able to come up with some way to splint those hind feet to give them a better shot at healing properly.

9. Jenna Wegleitner

May 22, 2020
    Utah
    This is him today. 12 hours later.

Attached Files:

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    He already looks better. I'm betting standing on his back legs for hours while stuck may have stretched and weakened the tendons. Even though hes looking better, I would give A&d or cod liver oil to support the tendons.
    Bose won't hurt either.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  11. Jenna Wegleitner

May 22, 2020
    Utah
    Thank you all! I love my boys so much it’s been scary. We will get on all these suggestions and he will see a vet on Thursday.

happybleats likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh, that is MUCH better! I'm very relieved. How is he walking?

14. Jenna Wegleitner

May 22, 2020
    Utah
    No problems walking! He is definitely sore so we brought food water and mineral closer to him. Also letting us touch it and not flinching. Looks somewhat swollen so we will just keep a really close eye, get him some additional supplements and get him to the vet this week.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Sounds like by the time you get your vet appointment, he probably won't need one any more. Which is great! I hope that's the case.