The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our yearling pack goat - Bourye - had his head stuck in his feeder. He may have been there for multiple hours. When we got him out his back hooves splayed and he is not walking upright- looks like weak pasterns. It is just his rear hooves as he was somewhat up on them in the feeder He is walking, eating and drinking but we are worried they won't straighten up. We have done some reading about selenium/copper/zinc deficiencies but this seems to be more from trauma. His twin brother - Whiskey - has no issues and neither have ever had hoof issues. Image attached. Any ideas or has anyone else ever seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Yikes! That looks pretty nasty. Is it both pasterns or just the one side? I've never seen an injury like that. If he were mine I'd be heading to the vet for a professional opinion. If he tore tendons, ligaments, etc. his future as a packgoat does not look promising. However, a vet would be a better judge and might be able to come up with some way to splint those hind feet to give them a better shot at healing properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yikes! That looks pretty nasty. Is it both pasterns or just the one side? I've never seen an injury like that. If he were mine I'd be heading to the vet for a professional opinion. If he tore tendons, ligaments, etc. his future as a packgoat does not look promising. However, a vet would be a better judge and might be able to come up with some way to splint those hind feet to give them a better shot at healing properly.
This is him today. 12 hours later.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
He already looks better. I'm betting standing on his back legs for hours while stuck may have stretched and weakened the tendons. Even though hes looking better, I would give A&d or cod liver oil to support the tendons.
Bose won't hurt either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, that is MUCH better! I'm very relieved. How is he walking?
No problems walking! He is definitely sore so we brought food water and mineral closer to him. Also letting us touch it and not flinching. Looks somewhat swollen so we will just keep a really close eye, get him some additional supplements and get him to the vet this week.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Sounds like by the time you get your vet appointment, he probably won't need one any more. Which is great! I hope that's the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts