The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My 14 month French Alpine wether started throwing up his cud last night. There are now chunks of it on the ground all around his shelter. It's green, fibrous, doesn't look unusual.

This morning he had a lack luster appetite for his hay, but gobbled up fresh raspberry leaves and berries (one of his favourite treats). After eating a few handfuls of leaves, I could hear his rumen making the usual sounds.

He didn't get into anything. His brother, who he shares all feed with, is totally fine. I palpated him all over and he doesn't seem to be sore. They had their annual CD&T booster about a month ago, were dewormed in the Spring, they get free choice loose mineral.

Besides giving him some Pro Bios, any other suggestions??

Thank you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd probably give him some activated charcoal just to be sure to remove any toxins. I'd also give him a B Complex shot. The CDT vaccine doesn't guarantee anything. Just a better chance of it not happening or a lesser degree.
Thank you, Karen!

What's the best way to administer activated charcoal? (This is the first time I've dealt with something like this)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was glad to read Caileigh's suggestion as that's what I did yesterday morning (dredge it with some molasses). I wasn't sure if I gave him enough, so gave him a second dose yesterday evening with some ginger and slippery elm bark added to the charcoal and molasses.

I gave him more of the same this morning, along with another 5g of ProBio. His appetite is good, drinking okay, and is at least swallowing some of his cud now, but still throws some up. I've given him lots of apple bits with alfalfa leaves to help him get some less fibrous stuff in his tummy. He seems less uncomfortable today than yesterday.
Hopefully he's feeling on the mend!

There is another symptom, though, that I'd appreciate your thoughts on... His poops are a bit stringy, like mucus along with the pellets. I realized this started the afternoon before he started throwing up his cud, so two days ago now.

Do you think possible worms, or might this be related to his tummy trouble?

Thank you all of you for your time and help!

·
Super Moderator
59,325 Posts
It could be intestinal lining shedding or it could be parasites. Get a fecal done to include coccidia.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could be intestinal lining shedding or it could be parasites. Get a fecal done to include coccidia.
Ok, thank you.

I had a fecal done this Spring before I dewormed, and the vet said he was fine. Although, as per recommendation by my horse vet, I dewormed them a month later anyway when I dewormed my horse (who's also a low shredder). The goats got Ivermectin, triple the horse dose as was recommended by local goat folks.

Besides his brother (who doesn't have any of these issues), he's not with any other goats. But there are deer in the area, so maybe worms could still be an issue?

He dewormed twice for coccidia last year, before moving to their current field.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok, thank you.

I had a fecal done this Spring before I dewormed, and the vet said he was fine. Although, as per recommendation by my horse vet, I dewormed them a month later anyway when I dewormed my horse (who's also a low shredder). The goats got Ivermectin, triple the horse dose as was recommended by local goat folks.

Besides his brother (who doesn't have any of these issues), he's not with any other goats. But there are deer in the area, so maybe worms could still be an issue?

He dewormed twice for coccidia last year, before moving to their current field.
I would still get a fecal done, just to rule out worms as an issue. If it's been a few months, he could have gotten a worm load between then and now. Glad the charcoal drenching went OK! Definitely keep up the probiotics. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yay! Little Peanut is fully chewing and swallowing his cud again!

I checked on him this afternoon, and his poop was more substantial with less stringy stuff. I'll give it another two days and if it doesn't totally clear, I'll get a fecal test.

Thank you all so much! He's back to his usual self tonight, chewing cud and enjoying cuddles.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yay! Little Peanut is fully chewing and swallowing his cud again!

I checked on him this afternoon, and his poop was more substantial with less stringy stuff. I'll give it another two days and if it doesn't totally clear, I'll get a fecal test.

Thank you all so much! He's back to his usual self tonight, chewing cud and enjoying cuddles. View attachment 210945
Awesome! Great job! He's a real cutie. I would maybe give him a few more doses of probiotics after he no longer has symptoms, just to help everything get completely back to normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts