The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toggenburg 6 month doeling that I was interested in showing in 4-H. Once I get some good pictures I'll ask you whether she's worth it. I know that it takes a lot of time out of your year. Is it worth it to do it? :confused:
I also have an Alpine buck that looks like he'll be an nice big boy. Is ADGA worth it too? I have never done anything with showing. I'll try to get a good picture of her.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we show in 4-H and adga shows. We all love it so it is worth the time and money to us. It is good advertising and the boys have gotten lots of public speaking practice. there are very few buck shows so you would have to look around for one. i would go with your togg doe. and show in 4-H i would wait until Nov or Dec. and breed her to a togg buck. Please dont start making grades it is a pain in the butt to get the papers for a grade and 4-H & requires some sort of papers. anyway that would bring her to milking status for the summer, although you could wait another year if you want. she will have to have kidded at least once as a 2-yr-old however. Call your local 4-H office to find a club. clubs are looking for new members right now. you will have a great time in 4-H!!
good luck faith

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Katie, you need to go to the Delaware show this Saturday. It is the county fair and also ADGA sanctioned show. Lots of good people there. I am going to watch the show.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we show in 4-H and adga shows. We all love it so it is worth the time and money to us. It is good advertising and the boys have gotten lots of public speaking practice. there are very few buck shows so you would have to look around for one. i would go with your togg doe. and show in 4-H i would wait until Nov or Dec. and breed her to a togg buck. Please dont start making grades it is a pain in the butt to get the papers for a grade and 4-H & requires some sort of papers. anyway that would bring her to milking status for the summer, although you could wait another year if you want. she will have to have kidded at least once as a 2-yr-old however. Call your local 4-H office to find a club. clubs are looking for new members right now. you will have a great time in 4-H!!
good luck faith
Can you show dry yearlings in 4-H? We already know of a club that's great!

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
The open class show for the Delaware County Fair is next Saturday, September 21st. You can enter through 9:30 AM that day. It's a haul in and leave when you are done show. The judge this year is Tom Rucker.

Entry fee is $3 per goat and there will be pens available. Premiums are $12, $10, $8, $6, and $4 for 1st through 5th place. Note: Premiums are only paid if there are at least 3 exhibitor's per class. We keep 2 sets of records - 1 for the ADGA forms and 1 for the fair, so you can enter goats in the same class under different family member names even though they are on the same herd name.

Junior and Senior does are separately sanctioned through ADGA. There are no champion challenge classes this year.

Breeds included are: Alpine, Lamancha, Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian, Oberhasli, Saanen, Toggenburg, and Recorded Grade.

Details can be found on the fair's web site at http://www.delawarecountyfair.com/

If you are certain you are coming to the show, send me the number of goats you are bringing (breed and jr or sr doe) and I'll include them with a pre-show count. I plan to send an update on numbers out either Wednesday or Thursday.

Julie Lucas - Prospect Hill Farm

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Katie, you need to go to the Delaware show this Saturday. It is the county fair and also ADGA sanctioned show. Lots of good people there. I am going to watch the show.
I can't I have things going on. I have wanted to we know people who show chickens and Nigerian Dwarves their. :( Maybe some other year.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The open class show for the Delaware County Fair is next Saturday, September 21st. You can enter through 9:30 AM that day. It's a haul in and leave when you are done show. The judge this year is Tom Rucker.

Entry fee is $3 per goat and there will be pens available. Premiums are $12, $10, $8, $6, and $4 for 1st through 5th place. Note: Premiums are only paid if there are at least 3 exhibitor's per class. We keep 2 sets of records - 1 for the ADGA forms and 1 for the fair, so you can enter goats in the same class under different family member names even though they are on the same herd name.

Junior and Senior does are separately sanctioned through ADGA. There are no champion challenge classes this year.

Breeds included are: Alpine, Lamancha, Nigerian Dwarf, Nubian, Oberhasli, Saanen, Toggenburg, and Recorded Grade.

Details can be found on the fair's web site at http://www.delawarecountyfair.com/

If you are certain you are coming to the show, send me the number of goats you are bringing (breed and jr or sr doe) and I'll include them with a pre-show count. I plan to send an update on numbers out either Wednesday or Thursday.

Julie Lucas - Prospect Hill Farm
What would a Junior doe be considered? Can you show doelings? I will look into that though I think that we're busy. Can it be anybody? Do you have to have done 4-H? I don't know if I can get my doeling comepletely ready.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I can't come that would have been a great learning curve though. Do you show? if so I'd love some pointers on training.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I don't show. I am just going to watch. I always like to keep learning on what is good conformation. So I like going to the shows and listening to what the judge says. Tom Rucker is a good judge and good at explanations.

This is an open show so you would just want ADGA registered goats.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh I see. Is it like that at all county fairs?
What is the usual size of toggenburgs?

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I don't think all county fairs offer that. But many do. You would have to look at each fair. I know Hartford and Delaware offer the open show. I know Morrow does not. Not sure about Knox county.

Not sure on size. All the full size goats look big to me. There were a lot of Toggenburgs at the Hartford Fair.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think all county fairs offer that. But many do. You would have to look at each fair. I know Hartford and Delaware offer the open show. I know Morrow does not. Not sure about Knox county.

Not sure on size. All the full size goats look big to me. There were a lot of Toggenburgs at the Hartford Fair.
Hmm well that would be helpful to me. I know that they are smaller than Alpines.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright but do you know what a good height is? What would be some tips for training my doeling? I know I really should try to get some pictures and ask you guys what you think.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
O.K. I will but if any of you have tips that would be great!

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*Bump*

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
post her picture and we will give you tps and critique your doe. if you do decide to show please read the usda guidelines for showing goats. if you dont have one it probably is posted on line under usda scrapies prevention.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts