The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a family member giving me two female pygmys. They are 7 months old, and have been running with males year and a half older. I asked if they were bred and she said she didn't know.
Am I taking too much of a risk here? I know if they are bred I could have complications..

·
Registered
462 Posts
They are very likely bred if they were running with a buck. are you concerned there will be complications because of their size or something else?

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
I would just be very careful with feeding them grain and be prepared to call the vet. Everything could work out fine too.

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
That is something to think about but it really doesn't matter the age of the male if they are breeding age. The fact that they are that old would probably guarantee that they are pregnant.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Were they standard breed bucks or mini's? I would assume they were also Pygmy's...I know...never assume anything. lol. We have had many "buck breakouts" here on TGS. I had one...a doe "accidentally" bred at 6 months old. She kidded at 11 months, twins, did great. I think someone had a doe kid at 10 months old. So, it's not impossible. Not desirable, but hopefully with some good care you can get them through this. I would consider using a "basics only" feeding strategy...grass hay/pasture, no grain, free choice minerals, make sure they are utd on their vaccinations and deworming. Make sure your "kidding supplies" are all there. Add some thiamine, b-complex, antitoxin, etc.

If you don't take them who will? Will she "chip in" on any veterinary needs to get them through this? I'm not sure how much experience you have with a potentially high risk birth...so you need to get your vet involved early on if you see problems.

If there are other problems...like...standard breed bucks...I would consult a Vet about terminating the pregnancy. Idk if that is even possible, depending on how far along they are. Someone else may know.

Good luck! We are here if you need us.;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the age of the bucks have nothing to do with it.
The bucks are pygmy also. And no i don't have any experience at all in birthing! So this kinda scares me, but I'm up for the challenge, I can give them good homes.
So if I get them should I act as though they are preg as far as feeding and what not till i know for sure? I'm completely clueless here lol

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
you've gotten great advice so far!!

remember that there can be complications with every pregnancy...humans or goats. I got my first pregnant goat earlier this year (her first and my first) and I was ready for the worst, but all was well and she had the baby without me! stinker!

I've read on the forum that some people get ultrasounds on their goats to see if they're pregnant and see how far along they are. the other option is take lots of pictures of their back ends and post them here. and depending on how far along they may be, you can see if you feel any babies (right side of the goat, just in front of the udder...see if you can feel movement).

you can do it!!! we're all here to support you!

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
If they are free you are not taking a chance finallcially..then the only risk is them kidding being so young....I have seen tiny goat brith large kids with no issues and large does kid small kids with trouble...the most important thing to do is educate yourself on what to expect and how to handle it, have everything you need ready....and have a vet on speed dial and informed of what you are dealing with.....

best wishes

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I had a doe bred at 5 months and she kidded big twin bucklings perfectly fine. She did great... in fact all that happened is I woke up to two dried off babies. So, really this is only your decision. I would not do it. BUT, that is only because I would want to buy a few does that might die of being too small or something... Lots of good things could happen too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyone's help and advice! I'm gonna do it! I pick them up this weekend!!!!! Get ready for loads of questions! Haha if they are bred this will be a first for me!

What are the chances of them being bred?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
running with abuck? if they are fertile they are bred! ;) Best wishes

as for tons of questions......bring it on ( said to the tune of Eye of a tiger) lol

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
running with abuck? if they are fertile they are bred! ;) Best wishes

as for tons of questions......bring it on ( said to the tune of Eye of a tiger) lol
LOL!! That's too cute....now I'm gonna be singing that song all day!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts