Yet another ? about hoof trim business

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by Victoria, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I can't believe the emails for hoof trims!! Thanks for all you advise!! You guys are great!!

So last night a man emailed asking if i would come & trim his herd of 28 dairy goats, oh and do you do shaving too??They are all Lamancha, or Alpines, and one huge boer buck...If I choose to take the challenge of the clipping, I wonder what a fair fee would be?? I was thinking maybe charge him per goat??
    Any ideas??? Oh, and I was thinking of bringing a helper with me...I am sure this will take parts of two days!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    shaving in January :whatgoat:

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    That was exactly my thought :whatgoat: Does he want you to shave for kidding or more. IMO it's too cold for a full body shave but they're not my goats :chin:

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Sorry, I forgot to mention it won't be till the end of February...

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    shaving in February still brrrrrr Poor goaties

But I wouldnt know how much to charge.

Why does he want them shaved? for show? or for comfort?

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    shaving huh? well I'd say $10-$15 per goat, he probably wouldnt want all the hair off, especially on the boer.

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    He said he needs them clipped to 1'' and shaved clean on all the udders. Oregon is pretty mild in the winter, sometimes, but i am going to suggest we do the hooves in February and shavem a bit later in the spring...

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a 1" shave is pretty long. Do you have a blade that cuts that length? you will need to get a couple so add that into your cost for the job.

I wouldnt charge any less then 15.00 a goat, I might even charge upwards to 25.00 -- shaving a goat is hard work and we are talking large dairy goats!

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have to agree with Stacey, shaving goats can be a chore!! You want to make it worth your while...I'd be charging at least $20 per goat.

10. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Nope, I am hoping he has the supplies, or I will have to purchase new blades for my sad little clippers.
    I was thinking 25 per goat we are to do the hooves as well, and it has to be worth my while, and Olivia's...(my hired help :greengrin: )
    So that sounds good, I know clipping is hard work, I really don't want to do it, so if I bid high and he accepts the offer, it will be worth it when it's all over, and I can get new clippers!!

11. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Good luck with this ...bring hobbles :laugh:

12. To be honest I would check my local groomers. A large dog shave down when I was grooming was 50.00. If your local groomers would change that you could still be cheaper without doing all that work for next to nothing. Just my thoughts.