Yet another copper question...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Realfoodmama, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sorry to ask yet another copper questions, but I have been reading through all the copper threads I can find and still have a few questions I am hoping you all can answer for me!

Turns out my Nubian, who is scheduled to be bred this month to a handsome LaMancha buck, is developing a fish tail. She is a black goat with a tan skirt so I have never really looked for a reddening of her coat as it sort of blends in to the tan anyway. I understand, however, that copper deficiency can affect her fertility as well as her ability to carry kids to term.

In either case, she has access to a loose mineral but I am pretty sure she never uses it - she certainly never licks at it when I offer it to her! I am not really sure how to progress as I am leary of bolusing and from the reading I have done on this board, the copper sulfate alternative sounds equally as freaky.

Is it possible to have her copper levels tested with a blood test to determine how deficient she is? Is there a mineral I can order on-line that she might prefer that has a high copper value? We are not in a copper deficient area, but she hasn't been getting grain since she is dry and not bred yet. Could this be contributing to it? Any and all advice is appreciated!

2. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    1. My girls were deficient (although i didn't know it) and had no problem conceiving. I was using the goat mineral from TSC (Manna Pro). They would lick it now and then, and all of sudden, once they got pregnant, they were gobbling the mineral down, for about the first 2-3 months.

2. Once i found out they were deficient, I switched to Purina Goat Mineral, (around May/June) but by then they had slowed down on eating the mineral so I bolused all of them with copasure. Stacy had a great method involving mashed banana, and it was really easy. Black coats are black again. I did not want to do the copper sulfate either - using root killer as a supplement is just too freaky for me.

3. Someone on this board started talking about how great the Right Now Onyx Mineral was - Countrymax was able to order it, although the rep (from the manufacturer of Right Now) kept saying it was for cows, and i told the person from Countrymax that I knew that, but still wanted it. I haven't seen any further problems, but the copasure is still in effect, so maybe that is why, but they are eating the onyx mineral.

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I also read on here somewhere that folks put copper in the water (like...copper pipes, not copper sulfate) to keep it from growing algae. I was wondering if this had any nutritional benefit at all? Does any copper leach into the water this way?

Looks like I may have to end up doing a copper bolus after all.

4. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I'm not sure about testing copper levels.
    We really like the Golden Blend goat minerals from Hoegger Supply at www.hoeggergoatsupply.com My goats definately love the stuff & they seem very healthy & seem to have very nice coats from it.
    I've tried the Purina goat mineral before but my goats didn't seem to care for it..I never had to replace it in their feeder.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I use copper sulfate to keep drinking water clean. I do not use it at a level that would treat deficiency. Only about 1/2 - 3/4 tsp per 5 gals of water. There is a lot of iron in the water here so most of the copper sulfate combines with iron and forms a precipitate on the bottom of the watering container.

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    i have used copper sulfate with great success for defficient goats. i have never used the bolus but may have to try it next time

7. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    The only way to test for copper levels is a liver biopsy.