yet another dumb question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sdshoars, Dec 11, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    since large breed dairy goats dont cycle during the spring and early summer, would it be ok to let the bucklings graze with them, or is there a good chance for accidents? i just want to know, because i would feel bad if i let everyone out to graze and mister had to stay in all day and watch everyone having a good old time. thanks

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just because they won't show a heat cycle doesn't mean that "mister" won't try...he'll be chasing them instead of eating...lol

Because I have mini's that do cycle year round, I alternate days with my bucks and does....I let my girls out into my yard to browse one day then the next day I let the boys out......it works ok as long as I can be out with them....no fence around my property so I have to be watchful of neighbors dogs. Are your girls bred for spring kids? If so, maybe think of keeping a buckling to wether as a companion for your buck so he's not so lonely when the girls are out.

Hopefully someone who has "big" goats can answer you question better :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yah best to have two bucks or one wether and a buck. THye need company too :)

Rotating them will give each a chance to enjoy something other then their pen.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have an Alpine X, 2 Boer X, and 2 Nubians and I don't let the buck run with them. Only reason being is that you never know when accidents might happen.

I agree with Liz to try to rotate. That way they both can have a turn!!