Yet Another Feed Question?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GCKRanch, Jun 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GCKRanch

GCKRanch New Member

May 27, 2014
    Fort Myers, FL
    I'm sure there are a zillion identical questions similar to this one, but since we've had such a sudden weight loss in our goats, I started to question their feeding schedule and type of feed. My boss bought these goats without knowing anything about them and seems to think they should be like dogs that live in a field. He has instructed our ranch hand to give them feed twice a week and branches once a week (and I have heard of acidosis recently, hence why I'm asking). They also have hay (which kind, I'm not sure) available to them constantly, as well as grass and plant debris from the woods. They are not free range. Everyone gets feed, including the males. Occasionally they will get fruits and veggies that are leftover from grocery stores. I just bought some Calf Manna supplement and BOSS to mix into the feed, but then I looked at the type of feed this morning. Its 11% Sweet feed from Manna Pro. I've heard mixed opinions on this feed, so I just want to know the correct way to feed these goats.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Either feed grain daily or don't feed it. Feeding it a couple times a week is just asking for trouble. Are they out in a field or dry lotted?

3. GCKRanch

GCKRanch New Member

May 27, 2014
    Fort Myers, FL
    They are in a field, but during the day they can go into a section of woods that we have fenced off for them.

4. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Yep, I agree with Ksalvagano. Feeding grain just a couple times a week can and will mess with their rumnens..