The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a F1 Mini Lamancha doe with a very short, almost silent heat cycle. It made it pretty much impossible to setup a driveway date and so we bought an ND buck.

The buck was delivered on April 16th and this doe went into raging heat in the 17th. She stood for the buck (and a wether ) when I led her to the buck pen but I wasn't sure if he was successful so I left them together overnight. They got separated the next morning. She didn't have any post-breeding discharge.

She has not cycled since but I wasn't expecting her to with it being summer. Behaviorwise she seems mellower than usual and has been spending more time laying in the sunshine chewing her cud. Her abdomen does seem to look a smidge deeper in front of the udder.
20180601_093534.jpg
20180601_093545.jpg
20180601_093559.jpg

These pics were taken today at 6 weeks 4 days post-breeding. She has been bred 1x before but aborted in her 2nd month. So a FF. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
6 weeks post breeding is a little too early to tell. 2 months minimum, but for some, 3-3 1/2 months is best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 weeks post breeding is a little too early to tell. 2 months minimum, but for some, 3-3 1/2 months is best.
Thanks! I was trimming her feet this morning and thought I might as well get some pictures and ask.

At least I'll have some early pictures to compare her too!

·
Registered
356 Posts
At 6 weeks or so bred, a blood test is your best bet if you don't want to wait it out. Most of my FF's didn't even start showing until the last couple of weeks and they're all due this month.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well if she was in heat and they were in together overnight, I would go with yes. Unless you do a blood test, you probably won’t know for sure till about 6 weeks before her due date. That’s typically when udder tissue development starts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here we are, 148 days after breeding. No babies yet and nothing really happening with her udder. Her teats feel more "meaty" and there's maybe a little something in the fore udder area, but that's about it. No discharge or swelling.

These pictures are from yesterday evening at 147 days after a quick clip job. She's so big!

20180911_191406.jpg
olivia_rear.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She has not been exposed since the original breeding date and has not come into heat. I have walked her and the other doe over to the boy's pasture to visit through the fence. This girl won't go near the fence and raises up all the hair along her spine (not her typical behavior). My other doe will happily sniff noses with the buck and wethers.

My first pictures were taken right before giving them their copper boluses. I ended up dosing them again 2 months later because this doe was hanging onto a bit of her rough hair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, hopefully she settles this fall if she's open. I suppose I'll know one way or the other within the next 10 days!

I guess I'll update this thread if there's any developments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I took the girls out to browse for a bit last night before putting them in their stall for the night. She ate blackberry leaves for several minutes and then just walked off to the barn leaving me and Sophia (my other doe who is definitely open) behind. She didn't finish her grain in the milking stand and just nosed around her alfalfa. Temp was normal and she's peeing and pooping fine.

While I was with them (around 1.5 hrs) I saw her arch her back and bulge in the rear like a mild contraction several times. She was also looking at and biting her sides, yawning, and licking me. Most interestingly, she was talking A LOT. This girl almost never talks. I've heard her quietly "maaa" less than 6 times in 2 years. Her ligaments feel a little softer then Sophia's.

This morning, day 149, she had a small amount of thick white discharge and was pinker in the rear. I walked both does down to the buck. He was not the least bit interested in Olivia, not even bothering to Flehmen after sniffing her. She had to be dragged over to the fence, promptly raised all the hair on her spine, and walked off the instant I let her go. The buck was more interest in Sophia, and did a Flehmen before briefly mounting a convenient wether. Not the "she's in heat" interested though.

20180913_085019.jpg

She was eating her alfalfa in the stall this morning, but had no interest in the fallen apples in the pasture. She pawed at one a few times before going to lay down in her morning nap spot. Sophia enjoyed all the apples for her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think she is pregnant, and I have had dome does bag up right at the end. However, I would think she could be a week or so out still. Maybe didn't settle till the 2 weeks after at second heat? you should be able to feel the babies by now. I can normally feel then around 3.5 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've pushed on lots of pregnant animal bellies over the years (used to work for a horse breeder and I'm also trained to collect semen and AI mares) but I've never been sure if what I felt was fetal movement or not. Even with my alpacas (we've had 20 births here) and my other doe (1 kidding) I've never really known for sure. I have seen some Alien-esque movement on Olivia's right side, but that could very well have been a gas bubble.

No chance of her being covered at a later date. The closest fences between the girl's pastures and the boy's pasture is over 70ft apart so there isn't even a chance of a fence line breeding.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Keep watching her. I’ve had 3 over the years that didn’t show anything before they had kids. One was actually in a pen to take to the auction the next morning when I walked out to her screaming her head off and finally her water broke.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I would say she is pregnant judging by how much her belly filled out in the last few months. Be prepared to bottle feed twins or triplest! You never know what she will throw if she is pregnant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have colostrum on hand as well as bottlefeeding supplies.

Nothing super interesting to report. I'm walking the does down to the boy's pasture every day to check for heat cycles. Olivia still has no interest in the buck and has started trying to headbutt him through the fence.

It does look like she's developing a little "puff" below the escutcheon and her belly is so big and low that her teats are now pointing slightly towards her hocks instead of down. I'll have to see if I can get a decent picture of it later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts