yet another issue

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jan 28, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ugh!

The baby Narcissus had still cant walk due to a leg problem at birth, she can stand, but not walk. I went to feed her again today and She was lying down drooling a bit with her mouth open, i picked her up and she didnt close her mouth, theres nothing blocking it and stuck my finger insde to see if it was cold, but it wasnt. She has a slight diarreaha because we had to switch milks, and tonight i'm able to get real goats milk (yay i hope), I took her temo and its too low (97) :( but shouldnt her mouth be cold??

Well anyway, I have no idea why all of this is happening, and it seems its just getting worse, tough delivery, kids cant stand, no milk, infection, bottle jaw (even when I wormed), and now the kid may be sick :sigh: the rest of kidding season must be better though right?

What should I do? I need the baby to live.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did you give BoSe? I'd also give thiamine and pen G.

Give a little whiskey, molasses, coffee mixture to her to help get her temp up.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thank you

I couldnt get any bo-se, I'm out of selenium/vit e all together.

How much of the whiskey and mollasses?
    Also whats the dosage for small kids (thiamine and penG)

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She needs vitamin E and selenium, you can sometimes get the pills at CVS or something. If she doesn't get it she wont recover if it is BoSe related deficiency.

Pen G is 1cc per 10lbs twice a day for 5 days.
    Thiamine 10mg/2.2lbs of body weight

Whiskey, molasses and coffee in 3 equal parts, about 2-3ccs of it every half hour until her temp goes up.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Okay

I dont know what CVS is, but I'll call some people and ask about borrowing some bo-se
    i gave her 1.5 cc of b-12 already brought her inside on heated blanket and threw some small towels in the dryer, also gave 1 cc of nutri drench orally. Couldnt find any whiskey, but im going to give her some mollasses and coffee.

she isnt holding her mouth open anymore, shes sitting up leaning against a chair back and looking like shes breathing normally again.

noticed something though, her back legs are cold, and one wont bend. She had small sores where she was walking on them, and i slpinted the with vet wrap. so i took the wrap off. could it be infected or something?? I did put iodine and neosporin on the sores before wrapping.... :worried:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    shes doing better i think'

shes been moving her legs around trying to get comfy and shaking (not tremors) just trying to shake.
    she hasnt been fed for awhile now So i'm going to go pick up the goats milk, i'm sure shed appreciate it.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i'm thinking that maybe her dam layed on her. that would explaing her being weak and cold.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Don't feed her ....until her temp comes up more.... :hug:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay thanks, i didnt think of that :doh:

10. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I found this and thought some of the info might be helpful just in case.

http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch1baby_care/wimpykid.html

Do you have a sweater on the baby to maintain its temp. as you bring the temp. up?

Wishing "doing better" thoughts big time for this baby.

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ah, sorry, guess you don't have CVS there, be thankful. Your local drug store should have some sort of selenium pills or something.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well just when I thought she was improving, she passed on. I dont think she was in any pain. I know her brother is well, when i found her in the pen this afternoon, she was partially underneath the mother. So I'm sure if must have contributed to the issue. I managed to get her temp up to 99.1.

You know? It really makes me wonder how some people can throw their animals hay every few days and water, no hoof trimming or worming, and their animals never get sick. :(

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Oh Katrina, I'm so sorry to hear she didn't make it. I know what your saying when you talk about people not caring for their animals properly. I've come to the conclusion that those uncared for animals know that they have to be tougher/more parasite resistant....etc, in order to keep living.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no... KAtrina.... I am so very sorry ...for your loss. :( ...it sounds like her momma did lay on her ....You have fought really hard to save her.... but sometimes... it is beyond our control......Don't blame yourself at all... it happens to the best of us..... it happened to us about 4 years ago ... I went out to the barn to let the goats out and......... I seen the kids head under the doe...with the body sticking out.....we were to late ...and she suffocated....she was 2 months old :( it is very heart heartbreaking..... :hug:

They do get sick and suffer :( .... it is just a slow agonizing death..... and is very sad.... :( :hug:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah. I know I didnt cause the death, she was doing fine apparently only a few hours before i found her. I've had this happen once before with the piglets....they just dont know how big the mom is, and its warm under there.

:hug: thanks bheila and pam.

now hopefully this next doe kidding isnt soooo dramatic.

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    SO SORRY Katrina! :hug:

She probably had internal bleeding from being layed on -- sounds a lot like what happened with a young kid born here a few years ago. He ended up with 2 blood transfusions and he lived but thats not the norm.

17. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    I am sorry for your lost Katrina. :hug:

Good things(kiddings) are to come!! :)

Connie

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, only 8 or so more to go over the next few months. whew.

19. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    So very sorry you lost her. The goats that are well cared for know and sense the love from the people around them. I believe even the youngest babies sense you are trying to help. :hug:

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome..... :hug:

I am praying... that all your remaining kiddings ...will be Happy and Healthy ones... :hug: :pray: