Yet another pooch test request?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Oakmarsh Nigerians, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Oakmarsh Nigerians New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... r32311.jpg

This wee ND is a 3rd time mom to be (I hope), supposedly due April 10, no udder to speak of, thought I felt movement, though and she's turned into a lovey dovey when she was "her own goat" before. Also, is acting like a hog with consumption of food the past 3 weeks. I saw a drip last week, but when I check again, both teats were not dripping but appear to have dried milk plugging them. Is she, or isn't she? That is the question! Thanks for any insight!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If she is due April 10th she should be showing more of an udder. Shave her backside and then you will be able to see if there is an udder growing there or not. That will tell you much better at this point if she is indeed pregnant. ;)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you feel anything starting in the udder?

4. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Mar 12, 2011
    Last week I thought it was starting, but there's nothing there today. I shaved her a bit, and nothing. It's really odd, because I thought I felt a little leg on her right side yesterday, and DH and I just saw a jerk on the right now that definitely wasn't gas or anything.

The breeder was expecting her first grandchild (human) when we had them bred, so the information was a bit sketchy. Why she would've been distracted there, I just can't fathom. :ponder:

I suspect she may have been bred later? She was in with her buck as late as mid December.

It's particularly noticeable next to the other doe due next week (HUGE, partially filled udder to go along with the barn-sized waddle)! :laugh:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That would make her Due in May.... which would make more sense about her udder not developing yet.... :(

6. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Mar 12, 2011
    Also, if she's not.... What would the milky drip be? It's dried now, but is the "color" of Elmer's glue. If the photo can be zoomed in on, you can see it. I don't really grasp the conclusion of a false pregnancy, how are those resolved exactly? If that is her case...

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is she actually Dripping milk?....

.. If she isn't or hasn't dripped any milk...I would think it may be her plugs....which is normal for pregnancy....

If it is a false pregnancy..AKA "cloudburst" pregnancy....a sac forms and there is no baby inside...the doe will ..deliver... a water filled sac no babies ... She will ...clean out... like a normal pregnancy....

8. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Mar 12, 2011
    Thanks so much for your patience Toth, I greatly appreciate it!

We have one more newbie, ignorant question. Is there a rule of thumb to numbering the kids if you happen to miss their entrance and there are multiples? I would think a few signs might let you know who was last, but is there a system for numbering if you don't know "for sure" what the order is?

I certainly hope I don't have to use this one!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im not sure why you would need to knwo for sure the numbering of them and it being an issue. If Im registering them and dont know i just give them a birth order according to what suits me. The goats dont care adn its only for identification purposes anyway.

Cant think of any other reason you would need to know birth order.

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    From Fiasco Farm:
    Yes, I can see the milk drip on her huge teat (atleast for a purebred Nigerian :shocked: )
    And she can definitely be forming a precocious udder w/out being preggo at all.

11. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Mar 12, 2011
    Thank you all!
    Re: the number question, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an obscure rule like, "the buckling should've gone first..." tattoos hopefully are permanent!

She WAS dripping milk, but not much and it did dry.

Traci: I thought she had big teats, too (but what do I know?). It's especially noticeable with no udder and she is a VERY tiny girl, but from "excellent" milk lines (Caesars Villa Stetson line).
    Poor Suthrn Charm, I'll just have to watch her and hope she is preggo. She is SO cute, still has a kid face and was exposed to a very cute tiny buck with blue eyes (Little Tots Tsuga line). I want her babies!!!!!!!!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your very welcome... very glad to help.. :thumb:

I agree ...I don't worry about the order they came out....I just number them after...... and pick any number that pleases me... :wink:

If your doe isn't still dripping milk ...that is good.... :hi5:

13. Oakmarsh Nigerians

Mar 12, 2011
    She must not have settled, she still has no udder. Is there any reason why her right side would move when she's resting, though? It's a much larger movement than gas, it looks like a healthy kick!

If we need to breed her again, should we wait until November to do so?