Yet another rant from me

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sparks879, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

ARG, sorry to do this one again. But i need people who understand. I decided to stay home for new years this year and glad i did. I don't have a barn where i can lock my girls up though now im wishing i did. My neighbors just before midnight started lighting off fireworks, no biggy till they got to the big ones. For gods sake they lit off ones so loud they set off car alarms on the next street up. Instantly loose goats everywhere, they jumped stall walls went out through the electric wire. I just spent the last thirty minutes rounding up twelve terrified goats. I should of known when the neighbors hauled their horses off this morning. But they at least could of had the deciency to warn us. Im sure the people down on the corner whoes horses were running all over weren't too pleased either. The fireworks sounded like a darned sonic boom, which we have a couple times around here every year. We live close to a naval base. But they warn us! We get flyers in the mail.
    I didn't call the cops on them this time but someone did, a patrol car came down the road with its lights on as i was putting goats away. Serves them right. I guess i shouldn't expect much coming from the neighbor with the dog that kills chickens and owners who just shrug their shoulders.
    ARG again. Sorry I hope all of you had a better new years then i did.
    beth

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    LOL I slept last night :) Anywho, I dont' like to complain about neighbors but I do hate it when they set off fireworks. Our dogs are extremely gun shy(under the same category as fireworks) and when they are shooting them off those dogs are trying to rip the windows off the house to get in, so I know what its like.

Some people just aren't considerate :x

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I don't blame you for ranting. I would be mad too! I am sorry for your troubles.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    No- that is rude,rude,rude- especially when they clearly showed they knew the possible problems when they hauled off their own animals.

Around here it's shooting off firearms into the air- I wonder if they think that the bullets go into orbit or something. This year I was lucky that both of the neighbors who are fond of this activity were away.

I hope no injuries to your goats happened because of this. I might causually mention to them how you spent your first hour of the new year............

5. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Wow, did you ever hit one of my hot buttons! I have a dog boarding kennel and several years ago they built houses directly across the street. These people shoot off fireworks on July 4th, New Years, Memorial Day or any other holiday they see fit to wake neighbors and upset animals. I know that on those holidays DH and I will be sitting in the kennel at 1 AM trying to calm down dogs that are stressed and frightened. The only reason I'm reluctant to call the police is because I've never recieved any complaints for barking dogs or any other farm-type noises that come from this place. I'd hate to start something, but at least my noises don't happen in the middle of the night!!! :angry:

6. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Before we moved 2 years ago we had neighbors who set off fire works frequently. Our dogs just hate fireworks and I spent the next day picking spent fireworks out of the field. We would even have fireworks land on our rooftop!!! Now we live in a much quieter neighborhood!
    Sue

7. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I am so sorry you had to deal with that Beth! That would make me extremely mad. Some people!! Arrrgggh. :veryangry:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its not just the fact that they set off fireworks, the normalones don't bother the goats that much, but these were clearly illegal ones. I don't even know if they were fireworks or not. For once I wasn't the ones to call the cops on these people, one of the other neighbors did....I think maybe the lady down on the corner. I could hear one of her four horses having a fit and kicking the stall. I don't know if the cop talked to them or not i was too busy rounding up goats. Thankfully they were scared and came to me rather then running all over the place.
    This isn;t the first incident with these people, they have a dog that roams the neighborhood killing chickens and chasing sheep. Of course Animal control here is a joke After i called them about the third or fourth chicken was killed the women told me i had to catch dessa in the act killing a chicken and get a picture of it. Like im going to run and get my camera if she is killing my chickens. Last year after a full day of hunting and not getting a deer the man shot a buck in his back yard. We are somewhat in the country but we are still a residnetial neighborhood. For godsakes there are kids around livestock people. My dad was working in the yard. The people behind us were playing in their yard. What would of happened if a stray bullet ricched off a tree or something?
    It really sucks that we have to go through things like this. If people though a little but before they acted we would have a better place. Like someone mentioned shooting guns up in the air where do they think the bullets go. It just irks me when people don;t think. Or they think about no one but themeselves. I have lived her for ten years with my goats, they could of politly warned me, i think the goats would of been ok had i been sitting with them. Blaharg ok im done again. Its so nice to have people who understand where im coming from. Thanks guys
    beth

9. BethW

BethW New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Central VA
    Beth, we must have been sharing a brain last night. :veryangry:

Our neighbors behind us are very nice people for the most part. Unfortunately, the husband has a love of the Dallas Cowboys and of illegal fireworks. All of football season he has let off these idiot fireworks every time the Cowboys score. In the middle of a severe drought. Where they've been known to land right near my barn. :veryangry: I've spent a fair amount of time this fall worrying about fire.

He was out there last night, shooting them off again. All I could think was at least we'd had rain and the grass was wet. Grrr.

I hope your goaties have had a better New Year's Day:)

10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Are you close enough to get a video of the neighbor shooting off the illegal fireworks? I'd tape the activity and send it to the local police along w/the guys address.

As far as the dog killing chickens & chasing sheep, I'd trap the dog (safely) if he came on my property, then have animal control come pick him up. It's amazing how quickly a fine from the pound will convince a dog owner to leash their animal. If that doesn't work and A/C doesn't respond to your compliants of livestock loss, I'd revert to the 3 S's if the dog returned to my property: shoot it, shovel it (i.e. dispose of it), then shut up about it (i.e. don't tell anybody). It's your property & you have a right(and responsibility) to protect your animals.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yes Beth, Some people are just so indonsiderate. We hvae some friends here that are from dallas, but thankfully they don't shoot anything when the cowboys score.
    AS for the dog she has been bailed out of the pound too many times to count. They just keep bringing her back, we even took it as far to drop her off in anacortes which is a good hour and a half away hoping someone more responsible would find her, we took her collar and tags, I know its horrible but i don't own a gun, and i feel really bad shooting the dog for the owners mistake. But a week later dessa was back. Someone found her and put her in the pound or something. And after that the people had her microchipped.
    That dog has gone home with paintball spots, enough to hurt and give her and her owners a fair warning. The people bhind us came up with that one. I usually resort to screaming her name at the top of my lungs and then is usually hear the neighbors call her.
    I don't know what other distructiveness she has done in the neighborhood. My mom was on onf of her daily wals one time and the dog was following her. One of the neighbors came stomping out of his house and tried to hand my mom a leash. Mom put her hands up and said oh no not my dog i hate her as much as you do. so obviously she isn't welcome around here.
    There is a thick grove of tree between us and the neighbors so it would be really hard to get them on camera in the act. we have gotten pictures of the dog on our property but never in the act of something distructive so animal control doesn't do anything. She did jump my five foot chainlink fence one time to get in with my meaner then nasty 300 lb buck. Truman was trying is darndest to pound her into the ground without success. I told the people if she did it again and he killed her i wasn't responsible.
    beth

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I hear ya Beth!!!

I feel like I am always complaining about people coming up onto my property, and once again, we caught someone (actually a couple) with their 2 dogs on our property and the dogs were running loose.

When we stopped to ask them to please not come on our property, they had the nerve to try and argue it with me (wrong thing to do on New Year's Eve, when we had our pre party the night before).

Anyway, we even have 17 signs up our driveway that say no trespassing, no hunting and beware of dogs. You think that these people would turn around - but they don't.

When I told them that I would appriciate them not coming up as our dogs run loose on our property and I would hate to ssee someone or another animal possibly get hurt, they tried to tell me that our land was part of the association and they can come up there if they would like. HAHAHA! They got a rude awakening! LOL!

Hang in there - hopefully the dog will "disappear" one day and not come back. It is not right when they are killing other animals.

13. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I used to think I could never kill a creature on purpose - not even the deer that gourge themselves on my garden. That was until I saw some stray dogs terrorizing my goats....... I never knew I could get that mad or protective - neither did my 2 legged kids. I think I hollared louder than I have in my life and threw anything that wasn't nailed down at those dogs... chased them about 1/2 a mile up the road & havent seen them since.

Haven't had much company since then either.... oops. The sacrifices we make for our goaties :)

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am the same way! I hate when people endanger my family or my animals. Especially since my animals can't tell me when I get home what has happened. Although I can tell if someone has been on the property when I am not there, and eeveryone below us figures out that I know also, cause I am not quiet about telling everyone that I know someone was there, and if I catch them again I will shoot and ask questions later.

Funny thing is is that I don't even own a gun - LOL! But they do not need to know that.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats my biggest thing, i don't own a gun. When dessa does come around i yell loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear me. i have tried to hit the dog with my car before when she was in our driveway. But she is too fast. Its a shame, i know they paid a lot of money for her. She is a registered english pointer, the man takes her hunting once a year if that. I hate having to dicipline an animal for its owners actions. They never did any trainging with her, they let her run free....the list goes on.
    beth

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry Beth! You know they have a pointer rescue - I would call them and say that you "found" this dog running around and he looks pure bred - that you have put signs up, and you can not longer keep him at your place because he is killing your chickens.

They will probobly take him wink wink!

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

hmmmm, i wonder if they check for chips though? LOL its a thought i should look into that. She really is a nice dog she just needs more responsible owners.

beth