Yet another selenium question...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by redsticker, Sep 9, 2009.

1. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I'm trying to figure out if our land is selenium deficient. I looked it up on the map linked in the Goats 101 section and it says the parish we're in (Livingston Parish, we don't have counties in La) has an average of 0.387 ppm but anywhere between the min of 0.108 and the max of 0.687. But we live close to the parish line, so I'm wondering if I should take the next parish (Tangipahoa) into account... which is 0.214, with a min of 0.100 and a max of 0.429. (This is the map: http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/aver ... stern.html we're like to second furthest on the left, 4 parishes from the bottom, TMI probably but I don't know if it matters.)

What do these numbers mean exactly? lol. How can I find out where exactly my land stands? How much should there be? Should I just copy other people in Southeast La? ;)

If I do need to add selenium, is it all premixed in the feed or whatever or do I need to figure out doses according to how much we have?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    your best bet is to talk to other breeders in your area. Unless they will be foraging for their diet chances are the areas that the food and hay is produced in are going to be selenium deficient

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    or talk with Cooperative ext. office and they can probably tell you if your area if deficient.

learn something new every day, didnt know what a parish was. we have boroughs here.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, talk with other breeders in your area...I know that 99% of PA is selenium deficient so I make sure the grain as well as the minerals have enough selenium as well as vitamin E in them. Never had to supplement does or kids with BoSe yet :wink: