The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 30 plus Bores. I keep them separated by age, breeding status , if they have kids or if they are pregnant.
I banded a buck a month later than I do normally. He got his sister pregnant . She is now 4 months old. Ultra sound tomorrow will let me know how many she is carrying and how far along she is. I am so worried that I might lose her during the pregnancy or during delivery. So I was considering aborting them.
What are your experiences with either?

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Personally, I would abort. Shes too young and although possible to have kids without issue..therr is that chance she won't deliver without struggles and she really needs this time to put into her own growing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I would abort. Shes too young and although possible to have kids without issue..therr is that chance she won't deliver without struggles and she really needs this time to put into her own growing.
That is sort of my thinking.
Up to what time in her gestation would aborting be "easier " than a full term delivery?

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
I wouldnt wait too long. Normally preference to blood test to confirm..then lut them..so that would be at least 30 days.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I also had a doeling that kidded at almost 9 months, I was a inexperienced goat owner and didn’t know they could get pregnant that young so I just had my 3 month billy and my doeling and one other doe in the same pen, by the time I realized, “o my word “ she’s pregnant it was too late to lute, she ended up having a big singleton, but it was one of the fastest goat births I’ve ever seen even though she was tiny and her baby was huge.
I definitely won’t breed any more doelings that young but if it turns out you can’t lute her I’m sure she’ll be fine and yours is a bore so she’ll probably be bigger than my Nigerian dwarf was when it’s time to deliver, so just don’t over feed her that way her kid doesn’t get too big. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes abort early on, much easier on the doe.
The vet is coming out tomorrow for an ultrasound. If I am proven correct in my fear of her being pregnant she will be given an injection to abort. Thank you.
I also had a doeling that kidded at almost 9 months, I was a inexperienced goat owner and didn’t know they could get pregnant that young so I just had my 3 month billy and my doeling and one other doe in the same pen, by the time I realized, “o my word “ she’s pregnant it was too late to lute, she ended up having a big singleton, but it was one of the fastest goat births I’ve ever seen even though she was tiny and her baby was huge.
I definitely won’t breed any more doelings that young but if it turns out you can’t lute her I’m sure she’ll be fine and yours is a bore so she’ll probably be bigger than my Nigerian dwarf was when it’s time to deliver, so just don’t over feed her that way her kid doesn’t get too big. I wish you good luck.
Whe
When is it considered too late to lute?
Definitely not ideal and would best to lute her. It’s likely she will have complications.

How long ago did he breed her?
I'm not sure when he bred her. She was with her brother for the first 3 months of their lives. The vet will be here in a few minutes and I will find out for sure if my fears are valid.
After breeding goats for nearly 20 years, she sure looks pregnant to me. Her behavior has changed from rambunctious to reluctant towards other goats. With me, even more clingy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts