Yippiee...I got my new girls. How do I tame them???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by peggy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Hi all, I am very excited......I brought my new girls home last night. Lovely girls. Grade Alpines, two are 4 months old and 1 is 8 months old and bred for a spring kidding. I don't have pics yet. I wanted them to get settled in first. They are a little on the skittish side and because I am used to super friendly goats, this is new to me. I wonderd if anyone had any thoughts on the best way to tame them.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    YAH!!! Congrats! Can't wait to see them!!!

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Taming them... my first thought is food, food, food... I think goats are like men... the way to their heart is food! :)
    A little cracker broken into pieces always works wonders for us when we're making friends again after vaccination time. :) Or a bit of sunflower seeds or a small bit of grain. I'd even hand feed until they understand that "I'm the Momma" and I'm good and bring yummies & loves.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats....it won't take long ...with patience ...love... treats.... soft voice..... sitting in a chair....small pen type area... have them come up to you.....is another way.... or there are other ways as mentioned.... and in the older post....link.... :wink: :thumb:

5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I looked at the thread you mentioned, Jess. It was helpful. They won't come close enough to take treats from my hand yet. Of course I don't have the opportunity to handle them from birth but I feel confident that they will settle down enough to be sweet friendly goats in time.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Best way to get a goat to bond with you is to show them that you are harmless, keep them contained in a stall or small pen and just sit with them with no distractions...having treats in your pocket or hand really helps, try black licorice , the smell alone will have them curious enough to check you out.

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Depending on the goat, it may take up to a month. I deal with new goats all the time, some friendly and some not so much. Some warm up much faster too. If you already have friendly goats, the new ones shouldn't take long to learn who you are. Once they learn you're their feeder, they kinda relax a little.

I am beginning to think Nubians are faster to tame..

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I do basically the same as everyone else...my girls are about a year old and are wild as they came out of a large herd...about 40 goats...i dont force them to do anything because they do lose trust very quickly. I have pulled limbs down on the trees so they can reach them and stand very still so they can eat. I have sat outside the pen at the fence with hay, animal cookies and leaves and they seem to do well with that. I have only had my girls for 3 weeks and they are already warming up quite a bit. Now when i take grain in to feed, they gather around me and wait for it. They are close enough to touch but i wont touch them. It does take lots of patience and a little time but the key is to not force it on them or move too quickly. These arent the first girls I have had to tame and this very method worked on the last ones as well. Good luck taming your goaties!!!!

9. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I only have these 3 goaties. I've waited a very very long time to get my goats again and am so very happy about that. I will be patient and calm and maybe even try some clicker training. One problem I have is that they have unfortunately never had grain nor been fed by hand and they don't like to be touched. So I just go into the barn and stand quietly and let them watch me from afar. They don't seem to mind me being there, but just not too close. Luckily goats are curious so maybe this will eventually work in my favor. I have a few months to work with them and get the older girl trained to the stand and ready for her kidding.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have an almost 2yr old wether that I bought when he was 12 weeks and had never been handle......the breeder told me that he was as wild as a march hair........I would sit in the pen and talk and talk to him and the others and sing to them....like others said, treats in hand! He is now my sweetest and gentlest, most loving guy.....he is always right by my side waiting for hugs and pats when I'm out with them.

11. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks Denise....this is indeed encouraging news.